• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

SMB Backup Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

zSeriesGuy

Free User
Reaction score
I'm new to 3CX.
Running debian 3CX trying to set up backups to SMB share on Windows Server 2016.
I'm getting "cannot connect to SMB".

I have tried both hostname and IP address in the Network Path. Using /, not \.
I have my domain/username/password defined correctly. At least I think I do.
I am attempting the connection using a Windows domain admin-level account as a test. If I get it working, I'll switch to a non-admin account. So permissions should not be an issue.
smb://192.168.1.250/3CXBackups

Is there some apt install that needs to be done on the debian install for smb client support to the Windows Server? SMBV1 and SMBV2 appear to be enabled.

What am I missing? Any suggestions? Anyone have this working?

Have you confirmed you can access it via another Windows machine?

Yes. I can access it from my other domain-joined Windows machines.

Okay so from my local 3CX i cannot get at my SMB share on my Server 2016 Share.

I've got SMB1,2 and 3 on my windows server.

Tried with no credentials and new credentials via 3CX to no avail.

Well, that confirms it not my setup.

Ok so, if i do this, I get invalid Credentials.

If I do this:

I get an error logged in SERVER 2016

No error logged in Windows when I try the first authentication details.

You're getting further than me. Doesn't seem to matter what I put for domain/credentials, I get the "cannot connect to SMB".

Try a / at the end

With the '/' on the end, I don't get the cannot connect to SMB message.
But now it times out.
I get:
3CX Management console is not responding. This may be be a browser issue - Clear your browser cache, refresh and try again.

Im using firefox.

Try credentials like this:

Domain: empty
User: [email protected] OR domain\user
Pass: password

I have tried all kinds of credentials configurations as you suggested.
Still get the timeout message.
I have tried chrome, edge, and firefox.
I tried putting in invalid credentials and even tried putting in the wrong IP address for the server.
I don't get any kind of invalid credentials message nor unable to connect to server message.
Always get the timeout message.

3cx version is professional annual (still in trial status) 16.0.4.493 on debian installed from the 3cx debian ISO. Running it on a Gigabyte Brix mini-pc.

Here is how mine is setup and working. I'm running 3CX debian to Server 2016 share (not DFS).

Share name is 3CX, Backups is a subfolder.

You likely need to be consistent - network path using FQDN and Credentials using FQDN OR network path using IP and credentials using IP.

Your server may require FQDN to be used.

Reactions: ConceptsWeb
I'm getting a little closer.
I disabled my Windows Server 2016 firewall.
Now I get invalid credentials instead of a timeout.
So now I need to figure out what firewall ports need to be opened. Don't know why they wouldn't be open already.
Don't know yet why I'm getting invalid credentials since I know they are correct.
Been trying different combinations of FQDN, domain, etc.
This just shouldn't be this complicated.

I wouldnt worry about sorting your firewall out until you can actually start saving stuff to it.

Here is how mine is setup and working. I'm running 3CX debian to Server 2016 share (not DFS).

View attachment 14068
Share name is 3CX, Backups is a subfolder.

You likely need to be consistent - network path using FQDN and Credentials using FQDN OR network path using IP and credentials using IP.

Your server may require FQDN to be used.

No joy for me

For the "cannot connect to SMB" error, try creating a subfolder inside the share. So if e.g. you have shared folder c:\SMB\ and you can access it from Windows as \\<IP Address>\SMB\ , for 3CX try creating folder c:\SMB\backups\ and in the Management Console enter: smb://<IP Address>/SMB/backups/

As for the invalid credentials, I am not sure. Can you try creating a local user on the server running the SMB?

Reactions: VictorSP
Hi Nick,

Tried all this.

Cannot make a local user on the domain controller.

Update: The problem occurs when using a domain controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damiano giannini
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.