Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

SMS/MMS Texting Integration in Softphone App

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Paul Omans, Oct 26, 2017.

SMS/MMS Texting Integration in Softphone App 4.9 5 31votes
4.9/5, 31 votes

1. Paul Omans

I would like to see an integration of sending and receiving SMS/MMS in the Softphone app. This way users would be able to send and receive text messages straight from the app, using their own DID. Incoming texts could be sent directly to users or to a group of users in the same way that existing DID rules work. Is this feasible at all?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nicedoggie

3. voiptoys

voiptoys Active Member

I did some prototype development a couple of weeks ago where I built a slide-out panel for 3CX Phone for Windows. In this panel I can send and receive SMS texts (directly from within the 3CX Windows client). This is absolutely feasible if you are open to a 3rd party solution. As you have noted, each extension that participates in a 2-way conversation over SMS must have their own DID. For one-way outbound SMS a shared DID is perfectly valid. While technically possible to have inbound texts come into a group, I have trouble envisioning how you would manage these texts and ensure you don't have multiple people reacting to the same message, but that may be a scenario-specific situation where that's completely feasible.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    mcbsys and Paul Omans like this.
  4. DougP

Just being able to receive texts would be great. There are so many services that send SMS verification messages that I would dearly love to be able to receive (Bank, WhatsApp for business, facebook, PayPal, linkedin to name just a few)

5. Paul Omans

Does this feature require compatibility with the SIP trunk that you are using?

6. voiptoys

voiptoys Active Member

Yes, it seems there is no standard API. While SIP providers often say they have SMS enabled trunks they don't always have any clue how we can access the feature via API. Sounds crazy, I know, but that's not uncommon even for some well-known providers. But I'm sure if you have a particular preference we could work with your carrier to make it work.

mcbsys and Paul Omans like this.
  7. JWillScott

8. kelty

Definite need for this.

9. VictorSP

UP. +1

10. Jeff White

Ring Central app does text messages SMS to external parties using the VoIP DID and excepted SMS from external also.

How can a system say it has Unified communications without text messages included. Not just internal PDX chatter.

Jeff

11. pswarowski

Agreed, this would allow us to do most interesting things as a company and our clients that we sell 3cx to. I look at Microsoft Teams more and more every day as a replacement for 3cx and I think 3cx needs to try and stay ahead of the curve with features like SMS.

12. Jeff White

We have been using TEAMS and seeing that Skype for Business is slipping right into the communcations center. Easy to just call someone from TEAMS.. So I hope that 3CX starts to push this aspect of unified communications.

13. IT Viking

This would be very good for letting customers know of parts that have arrived for them etc. :)

14. Buzz

15. Eagle2469

+1 for this.

I would love to see this work with Flowroute and be able to determine which users will have access. Users with access will see a new chatroom in their app. It will show which user sent a text as well.

MARLEY JAFFE likes this.
  16. MARLEY JAFFE

I agree, I would love this support for flowroute!