Solved Snom d765 firmware update

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by User123, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User123

I am using v15 of 3cx and it says all updates are installed.

My phone Snm D765 is using 8.7.5.35 firmware. When the phone starts it tries to install the firmware updates from 3CX but it failes each time with the error "No Snom Fw. Update - Error: 98".

I have checked the provisioning folder on the server and the bin file in the folder is 8.7.5.35 too. I have contacted snom and they say that 8.9.3.66 is the latest version 3CX should have.

How do I get 3CX to upgrade the firmware? In the control website it says everything is up to date.

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @User123

What is the exact version you are on? You can check on the dashboard next to the licence and tell me the exact build number. Are you on windows or Linux? Are you using the default template or a custom one? If you are on windows navigate to C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning\xxxxxxxx\firmware_new\snom and tell me if you can see a newer firmware in there.
    Do you have any other phones that update? Do you see any updates ?

3. User123

Hi

Product : 3CX Phone System Professional Edition
    Version Number: 15.5.5

Screenshot of the folder attached.

There is also a firmware_new folder.

We are using the default template, running on Windows.

It says our system is up to date.

Attached Files:

4. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

the system shows up to date because the update has already been downloaded. You should see the phone in Red under the phones tab on the management console. The PBX tries to update the phone which fails giving you the error 98. Since you firmware is a few versions old you might not be able to upgrade it directly to the latest. I would recommend trying to upgrade the firmware from the Snom site directly to a previous version that the one offered by the management console and see if that works
    http://wiki.snom.com/Firmware/V8_9_3_60

5. User123

Why does 3CX have an old version in the firmware folder, yet says it is up to date?

Yesterday I manually updated a phone to 8.9.3.60 from the Snom website and it still errors.

Attached Files:

6. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

3CX has downloaded the latest firmware which is located in the Firmware_new folder as i can see from your screenshots. The firmware will only be transferred in the firmware folder once a phone has been upgraded. So the updates section shows no updates because the firmware has already been downloaded. The phones section however will tell you if your phones need upgrade which they do. You have also mentioned you are using the default templates but int he screenshot provided i can see you are using custom templates. Have you tried to upgrade a phone after provisioning if with the default template?
    Also when the phone boots up do you get the error immediately or does the download of the firmware take place first and you get the error after a while? Error 98 can indicate the either the bootloader of the phone is corrupted or that the phone cannot reach the update server. So un-install any antivirus software that might be running on the server and disable the windows firewall to eliminate that possibility

7. User123

Ok. I will give this a go first thing tomorrow.

8. User123

Hi

I have tried switching the firewall off and still get the Error: 98.

I have tried with the default template. The only change in the custom one was the background image for the phones.

It tries downloading the firmware and the progress bar shows it downloads it. It is when it says "Verifying Firmware" that it errors.

9. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

That might indicate an error with the bootloader of the phones. You can try updating one via TFTP (there are instructions on Snoms site) or contact Snom and ask them about this error. I have a Snom D765 on my desk and i have upgrade it twice since yesterday without error

10. User123

We have 12 phones and they all do the same thing. I have already contacted Snom. The only help they could offer was:

According to 3cx the latest version is V15.5 and the associated snom firmware should be 8.9.3.66 so I would suggest to upgrade your 3cx system in order to have the 8.9.3.66.
    see also: https://www.3cx.com/support/phone-firmwares/

11. User123

I've managed to solve the issue. In the "phones" page on 3CX, select the extension that is "not support", in my case version 8.9.3.60, then click the "firmware" button at the top of the page. This gave me the option to updgrade to 8.9.3.66. Once that was installed on the phone I do not get the upgrade error.

12. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Glad to hear the issue is resolved and thank you for sharing your solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.