Snom Template Suddenly Missing 2 Line Instances

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by leviticus, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leviticus

At some point recently, the template for Snom telephones does not include 2 built-in line appearances. (e.g. - the template has two line instances hard coded as buttons 1 and 2, and 'BLF 1' actually STARTS on button 3.) or in code... we went from this:
    Code:
        <fkey idx="0" context="active" perm="">line</fkey>
       <fkey idx="1" context="active" perm="">line</fkey>

To this:
    Code:
    {IF $blffunc=blfrow}
           {IF blf1}
               <fkey idx="0" context="active" label="%%label%%" perm="">%%value%%</fkey>
           {ELSE}
               <fkey idx="0" context="active" perm="">none</fkey>
           {ENDIF}

{IF blf2}
               <fkey idx="1" context="active" label="%%label%%" perm="">%%value%%</fkey>
           {ELSE}
               <fkey idx="1" context="active" perm="">none</fkey>
           {ENDIF}

This is a HUGE change, IMO (and I'm not saying 'better' there)... Luckily, we mostly use customized templates due to no GUI based settings for things like date and time settings until recently (CW_Dialtone Is STILL not fixed in the default Snom template, BTW!)

If this template were updated on a production system using the default snom template, every BLF would be shifted 2 to the left, and the user would likely end up with no line instances!

Such a change without a prompt to an administrator to acknowledge this is just downright unacceptable. 3CX, you guys constantly say 'customized templates aren't supported'. Well... if you're going to say 'our way or the highway' on templates, you need to make sure you're doing it right.

This issue is compounded by the fact that there isn't an 'insert' or 'drag and drop' functionality within the BLF/Button screen in the extension, so I basically have to manually move each button down two rows on a 16 button phone.

My worst fear is that this is going to be 'fixed' in a subsequent template update, again pushing buttons around...

I loved the concept of automatic updates, but if this is the type of unexpected item that is going to be automatically installed and break my customers phones... my helpdesk can do without that kind of 'help'.

2. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

the statement is just wrong:

Such a change without a prompt to an administrator to acknowledge this is just downright unacceptable. 3CX, you guys constantly say 'customized templates aren't supported'. Well... if you're going to say 'our way or the highway' on templates, you need to make sure you're doing it right.

and here is why:

we thought about the user exp (and maybe hard labled paper buttons). While we converted from the fix line mode to the user dynamic blf mode, we inserted into slot 1 and 2 auto line keys, so that after the update looked all the same... If you have customer template which did not catered for this change, then as always, we can not check compatibility to them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leviticus

Was this documented anywhere in any release notes of any sort? Just on the level of 'The next time I deploy a phone system', this modification is an issue. I learned about it because I deployed a phone system in an emergency condition to a customer coming off of Vodia PBX. I knew what their paper labels were on the phones, and replicated these button configs into 3CX.

I used the default template, knowing you guys have worked to put the typical customization into the GUI (nice work), however: I did not know that I now needed to create line instance keys. The customer had 'button issues' on go live.

So I'm hardly wrong, that such a significant change deserves some notification, no?

I checked and it does not appear that the same has been done on Cisco - is that planned?

Is 'reordering'/'Drag and drop' on the road map for dev in the button config screen?

4. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.