Soft Gateway

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by paulreg, Nov 9, 2006.

1. paulreg

Hi

I have installed 3CX and now want to make a connection to PSTN. I know you can buy H/W devices for this purpose but is it possible to use a PC with a modem and a software gateway ?

Thanks

Paulreg

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

No, it requires that you buy a proper VOIP gateway such as a grandstream. They cost about $250, so they are not expensive.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Gee that's too bad. I was looking forward to this replacing my already in place TrixBox in which I have one of the X100P FXO cards working great in right now. OH well. WOn't keep me from playing with this for a while tho. I hope you guys decide to add support for those little cards in the near future. Then you'll have 3CX@Home :)

4. paulreg

Thanks for the posts guys.
    $250 is a lot of money for many home users.
    Pity theres no alternative :D

5. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

VOIP provider

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your feedback.

Why not use a VOIP provider instead of a hardware gateway?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well that would be an alternative if you had cable or wireless internet. For those of us with DSL however, we usually have to have at least one dialtone anyhow lest you are one of those that has a local provider that is doing DSL over a dry pair with no dialtone.

7. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

One port FXO

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Actually the Sipura 3000 is a low cost one port FXO. I believe it costs some $80. We have ordered one and should be testing with it soon. This might be an option.

I believe that in time, within a year or so, ADSL modems will be equipped with small FXO converters as well. The actual technology is not expensive to make. Prices are coming down fast....

8. Watashi_FR

If I'm not mistaken, your trixbox and FXO could be integrated in 3CX since an Asterisk server will function as an ATA slave in this setup. Notwithstanding, it is a pity that full duplex modems are not supported as FXSs/FXOs, since this would mean a strong increase of potential business volume for ANY soft-pbx. Remember it's not just the price of hardware that determines TCO!