Softphone audio device toggle

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by it3tek, Jan 10, 2017.

Softphone audio device toggle 5 5 6votes
5/5, 6 votes

1. it3tek

We need a simple way to transfer audio output/input between two settings at the click of a button during a call, similar to Skype for Business, so that users can answer calls on their "speakerphone" (PC speakers / desktop mic) and toggle to a headset when desired.

We have a customer who is frustrated because they purchased many headsets and desktop microphones, while under the impression that they could easily toggle between headset and speakers with the 3CX softphone app on Windows.

The only way we have found to work around this, is using a bluetooth headset with a 3rd party bluetooth dongle. If you set the PC speakers/mic to default devices in Windows sound control panel, then connect a bluetooth headset, and set it as default, then every time you physically turn the bluetooth headset off, the audio will jump back over to the speakers. This is not reliable however, as some headsets have poor audio quality with 3rd party dongles, and if you use a dongle made by the manufacturer (such as Plantronics headsets with their dongle) then Windows never detects the device as powering off, and the audio will simply go nowhere when you turn off the headset.

Peter Haslbeck and JCLloyd like this.
  2. Lewis Burgess

This is absolutely essential for us and without it is pretty much a 3CX deal-breaker.

We have found the softphone does not remember the headset between different PCs with roaming profiles and essentially means staff have to go in to the preferences of the 3CX Windows softphone each time they log on. This is a protracted route and is pretty unacceptable for the end users.

As a workaround, a button on the main client to allow easy switching of the headphone/microphone audio devices between the primary sound device and the USB headset (much like Lync Attendant 2010 has) would be very useful.

For further info, see : https://www.3cx.com/community/threa...sb-headset-default-audio-major-problem.47423/

JCLloyd likes this.
  3. Sopock

Sopock Member

That feature should exist from first version!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    JCLloyd likes this.
  4. Silly English Kniggit

My employer has a a login script to do this, but I can't share it publicly. PM me for more info.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    JCLloyd likes this.
  5. bh.

bh.

Hi there!
    Same here, I often change my docking station and have several usb headsets. And every time I change my workplace, I need to manually reset the device.

I therefore created a powershell script. I put it into task scheduler and in the event of a workstation unlock/logon it automatically changes the device to the most appropriate device.

It's not perfect, but for me it's fine.

https://github.com/bholliger/Set-SoundDevice3CX

Cheers,
    -Bruno.

JCLloyd likes this.
  6. Sopock

Sopock Member

JCLloyd likes this.
  7. bh.

bh.

Absolutely agree with you! Skype can do this, 3CX can not, needs to be definitely put on the roadmap!
    As I do not change the devices dynamically, the script works for me.

Cheers,
    -Bruno.

JCLloyd, Lewis Burgess and Sopock like this.
  8. Sopock

Sopock Member

Or they should buy out of box library?
    • Capture and playback from various platform dependent sound architectures (ALSA, PulseAudio, AudioUnit, AudioQueue, WaveApi, WASAPI, Android AudioTrack/AudioRecord, Android OpenSLES)

[​IMG]

JCLloyd likes this.