Softphone client authorising across a sub net

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Colin Mitton, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colin Mitton

I'm currently testing the 3CX 'Free' edition v15.5.

On my 'site' the IP range is 10.0.*.* with a sub net of 255.255.0.0 this site is where the 3CX server runs from.
    Any Phone / Softphone client has connected / authorised with no problems.

On my other site IP range is 10.10.*.* with the same sub net does not connect / authorise for the softphone client I added there.

On my current Asterisk based PBX I have to have 'NAT' turned on for the extension so that it will use the sites gateway / router to find the PBX on the other site.

I can of course ping the server and the gateway does not filter any traffic by port etc. as its a 1gb link bandwidth is not an issue.

How can I get the softphone (then phones when I come to that part of testing) to authorise across my link?

Thanks in advance!

2. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

If your networks are routed between them without NAT, you should not have nay problems.
    If you have NAT between them, depends how NAT is implemented. Probably your traffic becomes routed through internet.
    How you connect / authorize softphones and what softphones you use, 3CX clients are provisioned via email. Check the provisioning file what are the addresses inside and traceroute them to see how traffic will passthrough.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 sip.bg, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  3. Colin Mitton

We don't have 'NAT' between sites we have a router (gateway) that routes the traffic from one subnet to the other. The routers are our own firewalls and have not restrictions about what goes over our link (which is fibre point to point so no VPN / internet involved).

I'm using the 3CX client from a PC which has for example an IP address of 10.0.20.9 subnet 255.255.0.0 gateway 10.0.0.1 going to my 3CX PBX on 10.10.10.1 subnet 255.255.0.0 gateway 10.10.0.1

There's no vlan's here in effect the LAN looks like one big lan just subnetted.

4. Saqqara

Saqqara Active Member

Have you unticked 'Disallow use of extension outside the Lan' under the Option tab for the extension

Colin Mitton likes this.
  5. Colin Mitton

No, will try that in a minute as I've just realized that the windows firewall is on that PC and its not rebooted since the client was installed so it could be the firewall blocking. If the reboot fails I'll untick that box (as its ticked at the moment) then give update.

Thanks

6. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Not necessary, both networks 10.0.0.0/16 and 10.10.0.0/16 are both treated as local networks by 3CX.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

8. Colin Mitton

It wasn't the PC's local firewall!

Saqqara - so unticked 'Disallow use of extension outside the Lan' then regenerated / sent welcome email again, reapplied the config to the client PC and bingo it worked! Just finished my test call.

sip.bg - Yep, know exactly what you mean and when the original IP PBX was installed here it perplexed the engineer for a while. Added in the allow NAT option and everything was fine? Why I don't know but it works!

Thanks for the assistance.

9. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

The softphone could have decided to connect through public IP address of the PBX, as the PBX is not in the same network. Unchecking 'Disallow use of extension outside of LAN' will allow exactly such connection, but I thought you idea was to connect via LAN, that's why I advised you to test it with the old 3CX client, which can be configured manually and you can select which connection to use -- internal or publc address of 3CX server. If you keep using connection over internet for your softphones, at least enable using 3CX tunnel and disable registering outside of LAN again.

10. Colin Mitton

Just so you know The PBX is internal only at the moment. My firewall and External IP / Ports / etc. have not been set up yet so external access is not possible. Will keep an eye when we do connect it externally.

11. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

OK, interesting point, this means, that LAN is considered only the subnet where the PBX is installed. Check in phones menu from what addresses the sofphones are registering, and if possible, try to configure an old 3CX client for test.

12. Colin Mitton

Thanks, I'll take a look. The user who has the softphone is off ill today so will investigate when they return.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.