softphone enough, or also need "phone system"

Discussion in 'Windows' started by exacto, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exacto

I have a new US Sipgate (Sipgate.com) DID and associated SIP address, and I want to use my VoipDiscount (Betamax group) account for call termination. I will be starting with just one softphone extension and might add an extension(s) later on. Will the 3cx softphone handle the two accounts, or is the “Phone System” also required? Can you point me to the settings to arrange this?

2. exacto

I didn't see anything about multiple accounts (just 2, 1 in and 1 out in my case) in the softphone user manual, but hoped to get an answer. It is strange how several softwares encourage multiple extensions but only allow one SIP account registration. That is one problem with x-lite.

3. exacto

Please help!

4. bluetel2

bluetel2 Member

hello,

if i understand your question. you want to use multiple account with 3cx system ? it's possible, define in outbound route the prefered route -> per extension , per number, per destination etc...

it's this your answer ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. exacto

ehermouet,

Thanks for your reply. Your direction sounds pretty straightforward, but you mentioned the "3cx system". There are two software programs available to be integrated. Does my minimal set up (two SIP accounts) require the second software (3CX Phone System)?

6. bluetel2

bluetel2 Member

in fact you can use only soft phone, but i suggest xlite or another sip phone, because the voip client is developped to use with 3cx system (the server), and not only, like xlite, bria, and some other.

-> xlite and bria can use some provider

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It sound like you want a SIP soft phone that will register with more than one VoIP provider at the same time. I'm not sure that the 3CX soft phone is going to work for you. The 3CX PBX will, but it's a bit more work. It would run on a PC,say at home, or your office, then the 3CX voip phone would be set up as an extension off on the PBX on a separate PC, anywhere in the world, if you like. You would then have access to (just about) as many VoIP providers as you wanted. they would all go into the PBX and you'd have to create a dialplan to access them.

8. exacto

leejor,

Not sure the softphone will do it? Even with only 2 accounts? Can you check on that, and let me know.
    The PBX is much more than I need. But does it require a dedicated computer, or could I run it with one softphone extension?

ehermouet,

CounterPath produces the xlite softphone free, and a paid pbx version. Xlite will only register one account, so I was hoping to register two with the 3cx softphone. The capacity to Integrate up with a PBX would not neccessary affect normal softphone functions would it?

9. exacto

I registered my VoipDiscount account and placed a couple calls to verify the connection. It is ignoring the headset (designated sound device) and using the mic and speakers. I cycled the prog on and off and will try rebooting. Ideas, solutions, Why the problem?

My Sipgate account will not register. What to do here? I deleted the other account connection but to no avail. ?

10. exacto

Why aren’t usual key commands operating the program?
    Why is my call history blank?
    Where is the contact list/phonebook?

11. exacto

Key commands:
    Alt+F ---> Connection
    Alt+Phonebook
    Alt+Call Log

Clarifying: Call history did not log the calls I placed. ???

12. exacto

My Sipgate account will not register. What to do here? I deleted the other account connection but to no avail. ?

Why aren’t usual key commands operating the program?
    Alt+F ---> Connection
    Alt+Phonebook
    Alt+Call Log

Why did the call history not log calls I placed. ????

Where is the contact list/phonebook?

13. phone

If you use just the 3CX voip softphone alone you will have to create and then switch between 2 the profiles for 2 trunks/providers.

The line buttons on the 3Cx sothphone allows you to recieve a second and third call from the same registered provider of the profile you are using.

The 3CX phone system registers multipule trunks/service providers and the softphone registers with phone system in order to utilize them easily without switching between profiles.

Express Talk Business Edition softphone (Paid version) I beleive can register multi service providers at the same time.

14. exacto

Thanks, but why can't I register my Sipgate.com account in the first instance?

15. KarelJansen

Hello,

I also want to try the softwphone with 2 accounts. But I can''t get it working.

Can you help me with your settings?

http://www.groningerdakkapellen.nl/3CX.html

Can you email me your VoipDiscount settings (printscreen''s) to karel at groningerdakkapellen dot nl?

Why do I try the SoftPhone? Because I read about the 3CX softphone, and google comes up with description of multiple SIP accounts (see below)

In the source of the page http://www.3cx.com/VOIP/softphone.html
    It says:
    <meta name="description" content="Download 3CXPhone / FREE SoftPhone - supports multiple SIP profiles. Easy to use, clean interface, quick download!">

So it should support multiple SIP profiles?

16. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi
    Description is correct, it supports multiple SIP profiles, but it doesn't support them simultaneously - that means only one profile can be "active" at a time.
    Regards
    vali

17. KarelJansen

Ah!

Thanks!

After my last post I decided to make a comparizon site for softphones, I already installed 3 different one's ;-)

Like the apparance of the 3CX softphone!

But I find it difficult to install (see my other question)

Kind Regards

Karel Jansen

18. Spider star

I think bluetel2 has replied very well.I think the way can work well to use multiple account with 3cx phone.

19. KarelJansen

The question was whether or not the softphone can be used without the phone-system. And the answer was that that is possible with one Voip-account at the time.

And now I am looking for the settings for the softphone when used directly with a voipbuster account (see my other post)

k.regards
    Karel

20. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Yes, the 3CX softphone works with other VoIP providers. There are standard SIP fields to all other SIP devices. You need your user name (usually phone number), password, providers server address (and port if necessary) and sometimes an authentication name (usually your phone number). I've set up the 3CX softphone for a friend to use LD provider Vitelity, with no issues. It will only register with one SIP provider at a time. the multiple lines are so you can receive a second call on the same extension number if you are using it with the 3CX PBX. There is a diagnostic log that will show you why the phone is not registering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.