Softphone for Ubuntu

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by hivanov, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hivanov

Hi guys !

We have a customer with 3CX Phone System v12 who has some workstations running Ubuntu. I've tested some software based phone clients, but no one works as I expect... Most of them work almost fine when they are in the local network, but no one works when the laptops are outside the LAN. The customer has CISCO network equipment and remote connections are made through IPSec VPNs. The best result I've achieved with SFLphone , which is available in the Ubutu Software Center. It could register through the VPN, initiate call, but no audio :( When the laptop is in local LAN audio is fine, but transfer and hold doesn't work ....

If anyone has more experience with softphones in Ubuntu and/or Linux at all, please help !!

Thanks !!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

This looks more like a problem into configuration of Cisco IP sec VPN and configuration of NAT / routing.

There should be no NAT between local networks in different locations. Most probably RTP routed are routed through public internet, not through IPsec tunnel. Try wiresharking it.

Check also Cisco SIP ALG and try eventually to disable it.

If IPsec and routing / NAT are properly configured there should be no difference whether phones are in the same network or into interconnected networks.

Also SIP clients should not use STUN to determine their public address. Check into 3CX Management Console whether they register with public or private address, nevertheless this is not authoritive.

Are other phones, e.g. 3CX phone for Windows, in office mode, without 3CX tunnel working in the same environment, etc ?

Give me a call to discuss.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Linphone and Twinkle worked okay for me. Sounds like your issue is more "network" than "Linux" in nature.
    Assuming the Linux machine and 3CX get along while on the LAN, surely must be "network".

4. hivanov

Actually they are not working very well even in one LAN segment. Transfers, hold and call pickup doesn't work. This is for SFLPhone. I'll try Twinkle and post the result.

Thanks for the advise !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.