Softphones Timing Out

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by zakfleming, Sep 13, 2007.

1. zakfleming

Hello, I am currently testing out 3CX and I am using soft phones at the moment when I try to logon using X-Lite on all machines i get the following message "registration error: 408 - request timeout" I have tried rebooting both clients and server but still the same.

Any suggestions?

2. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

If all on same LAN check the obvious, IP address of server and SIP port specified. 3CX defaults to 5060 and some softphones default to 5070. If softphones external (a problem I had) then port forwarding is the most likely cause, had to fiddle with my Router.

3. zakfleming

Yes server IP seems to be setup but this problem has only just started happening it worked perfect before

4. zakfleming

Ok just a quick update i have unchecked the box "register with domain and receive incoming calls" and I can login the extension but not make calls.

5. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

I have never tried that, not sure what that means. Anything odd in the logs? Is 3CX receiving and subsequently refusing the register request? The error would be a good guide. No error would be also good in that you would look for a block before 3CX. Sorry if it sounds basic, just throwing out thoughts.

6. zakfleming

It looks like a problem with the softphone settings just a quick question what goes in the domain box?

7. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

For mine the internal IP address of 3CX if on a PC on the LAN, and the domain of the Server if using external on laptop.

8. zakfleming

Its an internal LAN so I will put the IP in I did put the domain in before and it worked, there doesn’t seem to be anything in the logs and everything seems ok in server status.

9. zakfleming

Ok thats odd its working fine this morning.

10. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

The concept we were thought many moons ago was if you are accessing a server on the LAN and it uses a static IP (and it should) then specifying that IP saves resources and traffic since no DNS lookup is performed. Also, and I may be wrong here, specifying an external domain results in traffic out to the net then back in, wasted bandwidth. With MS Exchange, active domains and such I believe the rules are different but that is why I have left that alone - want to keep the little hair remaining :lol: So if you are still using domain maybe try the IP instead, may improve performance and be more stable.

11. zakfleming

I’m using the IP but I have just got the problem again this is really annoying me!

12. zakfleming

Right think i have fixed it i have allowed all the 3CX ports in the firewall and now its seems to work