Softphones VS DECT Phone for POTS

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by grizzlybear2018, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grizzlybear2018

I currently have this issue with voice quality while using a softphone with our POTS. I was wondering if we switched over to a DECT Phone running through our PBX would this increase our call quality?

Current issues with call quality are:
    -They can hear everyone in the background
    -Low voice on both ends

Help or advise is greatly appreciated.

2. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Mostly issue should be related to Codecs used in your VoIP gateway. Try changing them and allow G.711a, G.711u in the first positions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. grizzlybear2018

Currently don't have those codecs available. Would it be better to go purchase a IP Phone in this instance?

4. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

If you are eliminate VoIP gateway for POTS with IP phone (DECT), yes, most probably you will achieve different result.
    Using IP phones is not enough itself, without finding the reason for problems with quality. However, if you can test an IP phone before purchasing it, please do it, otherwise the problem may remain if you continue using the same POTS lines.
    Try switching to VoIP provider, if possible, or try changing the VoIP gateway with another brand, if you can't modify its settings. Which make is your current gateway ? What version of PBX you are using ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The first issue may be a microphone sensitivity problem, and may simply be the way the phone being used, works, if you are referring to the far end hearing everyone locally. This will vary from handset to handset and could occur in a DECT set just as easily. Check to see if there is a microphone setting.

The second (although there is a bit of a contradiction with the first, mic is too sensitive, but there is low voice) may be related to attenuation settings in the gateway that you are using. Are there "low voice" issues when using other "wired" sets?

I do find, that at times, the audio level on an Android device (when using the 3CX App), is not quite as loud as I'd like, especially where there is a lot of background noise.. This occurs when using both PSTN lines through a gateway and VoIP trunks. Be aware that any changes to attenuation in a gateway can lead to echo problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.