• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solution: Distinctive Ring Group Ringtone Grandstream/Maybe others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronston Hansen

Customer
Reaction score
Hi,

I did a fair amount of searching around and wasn't able to find how to set up a distinctive ring for my Grandstream GXP2130 phones. So I figured out a way to do it. It looked like a number of people were trying to come up with something so I thought I would post instructions for what I did at least. And If I'm doing something stupid someone can point it out.

So after a fair amount of experimenting it was actually fairly easy.
First you need a ring group with a DID although it might work in other scenarios I haven't tried it.
Make sure your DID is coming in as just digits, I found out a + breaks it, this was on Telnyx but it should work on others I think.
Edit your trunk with the DID for your ring group. You might want to isolate it because of what we're about to do, I did.
In inbound parameters change "CallerNum" caller's number (default: From->user) to "Request Line URI: User Part". The goal is to replace the incoming callerID with the DID number.
Now go into your phone UI. On my grandstream we want Accounts>Account 1>Call Settings
Towards the bottom there are Ring Tone settings.
Mine had an "external" setting by default that seemed to supersede the new settings so break that.
Add your DID in there and set the ring tone you want. Save and Apply. Call your ring group and you should hear your custom tone, if not I recommend fiddling with it until you do. The callerID on the phone screen should be a big help if you have a mismatch. I'll try to help with questions if anyone struggles, no promises though.
One additional note, this probably screws up real callerID on the phone, doesn't matter to me but it might be worth noting for some.

Thanks,
Bronston

Last edited:
You are using the phone to play a distinctive ring tone based on Caller ID, and setting the caller ID as the incoming DID number. This is all well and good, if you don't want to know who is calling, and only the (DID) number they called. To many, having the caller ID, (that they probably pay for,) along with the ability to add a name to the DID group, and display that as well, may be more important.

Yeah I updated my post to include that caveat right before you posted.

Thanks for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TECHXNEPAL
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.