Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Solved Solved: Help provisioning Polycom VVX410 remotely - Line not registered

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Steve W, Jan 24, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Hi All,

New to 3CX and trying to setup a lab evironment for testing. We have a boat load of Polcom VVX410's from other cloud PBX services that if I can get to work with 3CX would give me some good options to move over to 3CX.

Current setup is:
    - 3CX Pro running in Google Cloud
    - SIP Trunk configured
    - 1 extension provisioned and working using 3CX Client and Windows Client
    - 1 extension provisioned for Polycom VVX410

I have read the Polycom article here. As we are running in Google Cloud I cannot provision locally through LAN provisioning URL. I guess I could create VPN link to Google Cloud but wanted to avoid this as handsets will potentially be in homes etc. where I have no control of.

I set the provisioning interface to the external NIC / hostname. I have read the articles about Polycom handsets not liking the Lets Encrypt certificates therefore I enabled HTTP / Port 80 on the VM Instance.

I have factory reset the polycom (trying different levels of F/W along the way). I am able to provision the extension if I go into the Web GUI of the handset and paste the provisioning server URL in there. The handset then pulls down the config details, e.g. 3CX wallpaper, extension number, name etc. but the handset fails to register the SIP line and I get the error "Line unregistered" / "URL Calling Disabled".

I feel I'm so close but missing something simple hopefully? Can anyone advise?

2. Steve W

As an update I've just discovered the Remote Firewall/NAT test utility and ran that from a PC on the same LAN as the Polycom device and that returns PASS results for all tests.

Help....

3. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

For Polycom Legacy devices (which do not support PnP provisiong/SBC or STUN) the recommended way to set them up is as you have via a VPN but also using DHCP option 66 provisioning for the phones: https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/dhcp-option-66/

Please explain how you have provisioned this 1st extension, if one is working there should be no reason the others should not either.

Have you looked at upgrading your firmware on the phones, I know Polycom are quite sensitive to this.

4. Steve W

The first extension I have working is only using the Windows softphone client or the iOS client on my mobile. I just wanted to test these to make sure SIP Trunks were configured OK and incoming/outgoing calls are all working.

Extension 2 is the first physical Polycom handset I am attempting to provision. If I have enabled HTTP and the handset is successfully pulling down the config file so therefore getting through to the 3CX server what else will VPN access solve? Is it not just a case of opening additional ports on the firewall if necessary? As I mentioned, I've run the test utility from a PC on the same LAN and that comes back OK using the same credentials that are on this handset.

I've tried various F/W starting with 5.6.0.17325 and I am now on the latest one available from Polycom update servers which is 5.7.0.11768.

Looking at the App Log on the handset I can see below 480 temporarily not available...

0124163152|so |4|00|[init] Failed to read login credentials and proxy mode is '1'
    0124163152|so |4|00|[soMainWriteBootProvProxies] Provisioning proxy resolve state '0'
    0124163152|dect |4|00|Dect Base macId from config:. Len:0
    0124163157|app1 |5|00|AppPhoneLockC::Init - bPhoneLockState [0]
    0124163221|sip |4|00|Registration failed User: 202, Error Code:480 Temporarily not available
    0124163239|copy |4|00|Could not set the custom header Content-Range for HTTP/s request. Head request failed to get content-length of server file.
    0124163239|copy |4|00|[init] Failed to read login credentials and proxy mode is '3'
    0124163239|copy |4|00|[performRedundant] Proxy connect result '0'
    0124163329|log |4|00|UtilLogServerC::uploadFifoLog: upload error. protocol 0 result = 33
    0124163329|copy |4|00|[init] Failed to read login credentials and proxy mode is '3'
    0124163329|copy |4|00|[performRedundant] Proxy connect result '0'

Thanks in advance

5. Steve W

I've increased the SIP logging level to Event 3 and now get a little more information, suggesting a timeout?

0124164909|sip |3|00|[CTrans::TimeOut100ms] To Server 1 of 1 Retry REGISTER send 31400 of max 31400
    0124164910|sip |3|00|CTrans::TimeOut500ms Self Generated 480 Response
    0124164910|sip |3|00|UA Client Non-INVITE REGISTER trans state 'callingTrying'->'completed' by 480 resp 10 timeout(0x40efcf68)
    0124164910|sip |3|00|CTrans::ResponseProcess Self Generated 480. RROFO Invalidate Registration
    0124164910|sip |4|00|Registration failed User: 202, Error Code:480 Temporarily not available
    0124164910|sip |3|00|CUser::OnRegistered Entry for call 0x13b0818 with expires 0 ticks Transport 'UDP' inval Method 2 RROFO 0
    0124164910|sip |3|00|CUser::NewWorkingServer user 0 oldServer 0 newServer 0 expires 0
    0124164910|sip |3|00|SipOnEvNewWorkingServer User 0, old 0, new 0, expire 0
    0124164910|sip |3|00|SipOnEvRegistrarUpdate User 0, index 0, state 0, expire 0, working 1 bIsOcs 0

6. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @Steve W

As you have read the Polycom guide you know that Polycom phones are not supported for remote provisioning. When you add a Polycom phone in the management console the only provisioning option available is for local provisioning. So even if the phone does pull the configuration from the server the info provided to the phone will be only for local provisioning so remote provisioning will never work . Your only option will be to set up a VPN connection so that phones can contact the server locally or manually set up the phones without provisioning.

7. Steve W

Hi YiannisH,

Thanks for your reply. I think I have managed to solve the problem. It's by far an "unattended" remote provisioning process but all the same I have managed to provision a Polycom VVX410 as a remote extension against my 3CX instance running in Google Cloud that was deployed via 3CX Express deployment.

The last piece of the puzzle I was missing was needing to change the Transport type to TCPonly.

Here are all of the steps I followed in case this is of use to anyone else. I'm now going to play around with the template to see if I can streamline things a little and evaluate what features are available to these handsets.

Steps....

In the 3CX Console change the provisioning interface for the Polycom extension to be the external interface. Note the provisioning URL

As the Polycom handsets don't play nice with provisioning over HTTPS you need to Add Allow rule in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/3cxpbx to allow port 80 from the remote public IP.

Restart nginx
    sudo service nginx restart

Factory reset the Polycom handset.
    Password to log into the GUI should be 456 after a reset

Log into the Polycom Web GUI and set the provisioning server (Settings --> Provisioning Server) to the provisioning URL noted earlier
    Server Type: HTTP
    Server Address: Provising URL
    Server User: Remove so empty
    Server Password: Remove so empty

Phone reboots
    Extension will be provisioned but the SIP line will not register and you will see "URL Calling is disabled" when trying to make a call

Log back into the Polycom GUI. Note the password will now have changed to that shown in the 3CX console for the extension.

Go to Settings --> Lines and change the "Transport" setting for Line 1 - Outbound Proxy and Line 1 - Server 1
    Change DNSnaptr to TCPonly for both
    As soon as you apply the changes the SIP line should register and you will get two line keys and any BLFs that have been configured.

Attached Files:

Dave Williams and big.LITTLE like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.