Some clarity on BLF

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by rshores, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rshores

We're an MSP, rolling out our first 3CX system, and we're looking for some functionality that we haven't been able to find. I think it might be handled by EVENTLIST BLF, but I can't seem to find any documentation.

What we're looking for is for a BLF 'speed dial' to indicate the state of an extension:

• Available
      On the phone
      Set to DND/Not available

Simply setting the programmable button to BLF shows whether the target extension is actually in use or not, but does not indicate any additional status information. We have situations where there may be a meeting going on in someone's office, and it'd be helpful for the receptionist to be able to tell with a glance: "I'm sorry, Dan is in a meeting right now."

If the user at the target extension either (a) sets status to an unavailable status, or (b) sets DND=On, there's no change to the BLF light on the receptionist's set, but phone calls to that extension are automatically sent to voicemail.

Does anyone know of any way to handle this? I thought it might be handled by EVENTLIST BLF, but I can't find any documentation on the server side at all. I found the documentation on the XML tags used in the file, but can't find any documentation on where to save the file on the 3CX server.

Has anybody tried this before, or found another way to implement the same functionality?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm not certain that you will get anything more than an indication (on a BLF key) that the extension is in use, or idle.
    Have you thought about having the receptionist use the 3CX phone for windows to monitor extensions?

http://www.3cx.com/3CXPhone/Windows/

On an aside, I'm of the opinion that, (unless it's the boss calling) it is not really necessary to let callers know why their call can't be taken at the moment. It should suffice to say that "Bob" is not available, at the moment (today, this week, etc.), would you care to leave a message, or, could someone else help you?

We all know that "in a meeting" could be anything from... simply avoiding you, or, a bad hangover from the night before, to being away on holidays and not wanting everyone to know the house is unoccupied. So there really isn't a point in making it sound like someone is doing something really "important" at the moment and that's why they can't take your call. :)

3. rshores

After more research, it appears that's what we'll have to do. For our first rollout it's a little disappointing though, that we can't use native settings in the phones (a GXP2140 for the reception, GXP2160's for everyone else) to get what we'd expect is normal functionality.

I guess what I'm looking for isn't necessarily being able to say that Bob's in a meeting, more a visual indication (without having to run a separate app) whether Bob's available at all. If Bob's on his phone, it's obvious on the BLF, but if Bob's set his phone to DND (or not available), the receptionist has no indication, and the caller transfers straight to voicemail, unknown to the receptionist. It'd be handy for the receptionist to be able to tell the caller (before she transfers the call) whether Bob's "available" at all, just to offer the caller the opportunity to speak to someone else, rather than the caller having to navigate voicemail prompts to get back to the receptionist (if that makes any sense).

3CX appears to be a little better that the other system we've worked with, but it seems like there are functions missing from each system - we just have to decide which functionality is more important for us to have going forward.

Thanks.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Perhaps another member of the forum can put forth a solution that they have made use of.

I have a feeling that the thinking is.... given that most receptionists have access to a PC, it is best to use the larger display, to provide extension status, rather than using the limited number of keys on a physical set (even with an add-on).

5. gschwab

gschwab New Member

I agree with Leejor, The presence information screen on the PC is the way to go. I met with a little "resistance" on this at first but once they get used to it they really do like it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.