• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Some Voice Quality Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

abinns

Reaction score
I have 3CX running by itself on a Dell Dimension DE051 (2.5 GHZ Celerron, 256 RAM, 53GB drive with 43GB available).

I have a GXW4108 (8 line FXO Gateway) that I have three POTS lines plugged into.

I have 6 Grandstream BudgetTone 101 handsets.

There are some real voice quality issues that I can't figure out:

1) There is an echo on our end (our voice)
2) There is choppy audio, especially when giving out numbers, between words, etc.

Some questions/thoughts.

Is the computer fine for running 3CX?

With the choppy audio, does it have to do with the silence suppression?

Would it be a network problem? Real simple network of a couple hardwired machines along with all the phones and a bunch of laptops on wireless.

Thanks!

I will contribute on the thoughts side :)

1) PC specs, no problem there. My PC is way under your specs and no issues.

2) Simple network, no major file sharing or data usage outside of VoIP, should not be an issue.

3) I use an SPA3102, not familiar with your unit I am afraid. I did have echo and volume issues on the SPA, and resolved it by tweaking the gain settings.

Correction: GXW4108 is a 8-Line FXO gateway, not FXS :wink:

Question: Is problem present on calls between extensions, or only on PSTN lines?

If problem is PSTN only (which I suspect), look closer at the GXW4108. I have not had to tweak any of 3CX "out of the box" settings, all issues were with external ATAs and SPA.

Hope I was some help.

Only 256MB?

Mirab, you are running a machine with less than 256MB of memory?

To the OP: what OS are you using? 256MB of memory is not enough for most windows-based operating systems, although you can check your page faults to be sure. I'm not saying that's the problem, but it certainly is a red flag in my mind.

Pete

I am also using the GXW-4108 and fixed my ECHO problem by setting the following on the gateway under the "channels" tab:

TX Gain: -12
RX Gain: 6

I had to take the TX gain as low as it would go to stop the ECHO. I left my SPA941 phone gain at the default "0". Of course, turn on the ECHO cancelling in the gateway. The RX value was increased because we could not hear the calling party very well.

We don't have much choppy sound on our GXW-4108 but we do have an annoying hiss, hum, wave sound. I know of someone else that has this gateway with the same problem. If you have it also i would like to know if you were able to fix it.

Let me take part of my last post back. One of my employees just came to me complaining about her calls being "choppy". Oh well:(

Please post any solution you find.

With regards to my PC - Old IBM P3 766MHz, 300+MB RAM (don't remember exactly and too lazy to log in and look :lol: ), 60GB HD (very under used) running Windows 2000 Server SP4 and acting as a backup web server for four or five sites (again too lazy to check). The RAM is a bit more than the amount listed above but RAM type is older and processor way slower. Yet it runs trouble free, clear, no glitches (knock on wood!). The SPA3102 is reasonably clear and clean, but was murder to setup. I am happy with it overall though, and my wife has suspended the divorce :lol: so I guess it meets with her approval also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchofficees
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.