Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Sonicwall and 3cx Firewall Checker

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by tex834, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tex834

We have a Sonicwall TZ 215w, 3cx v11 and Yealink T38G phones. The phone traffic and call quality seem to be good and stable. The sonicwall is configured as listed below with all necessary ports. However, the firewall checker is failing for all ports. If we swap the firewall out with a low end Linksys test firewall, the 3cx firewall checker will pass.

http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/sonicwall-firewall-configuration/

Has anyone had been able to get the 3cx firewall checker to pass with a Sonicwall? If so, what steps were taken.

Thank You

2. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

I have a few clients that utilize sonic walls with mixed results, they just arent great with VoIP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

My results with the firewall checker were mixed on the SW.
    I know much of the VOIP community, and Kevin.. both poo-poo using them. However, for us the SonicWalls were there first most of the time.

Granted, we have revised our standards to insist for a dedicated WAN IP address, NOT Comcast, and some NetGear fw for voice.

That being said, our PRO 3060 on Comcast works fine. :) I have banged my head on past issues to work that standard up, however.
    Dedicating the IP prevented the SW from allocating ports which were configured to forward (one-way audio).
    Comcast introduces much jitter (choppy or "speedy" audio).
    And.. SonicWall has a hard enough time with multiple WAN connections and maintaining quality RTP streams.

If it weren't for the UTM being employed, and the VPN clients already bought.. I'd just OpenVPN (or Remote Web Access..) and DD-WRT a decent wifi router.. but I'm already stuck with a SonicWall shop.

4. accelerated

We are running a Sonicwall TZ 215W here in our office and have had no issues. Yes, the firewall checker will fail, however, everything will function as it should.

We have over 40+ deployments using Sonicwalls and all sites are functioning properly. The reason the firewall checker fails with the Sonicwalls is because of the NAT translation that Sonicwall uses internally.

All functions and port forwarding will work correctly on the Sonicwall.

We also use the Sonicwall's bandwidth management to provide excellent voice quality with no delays or jitters. The bandwidth mangers performs better than trying to perform QoS at the router or switch level.

Sonicwalls are great devices when configured by people who know how to configure them. ;)

5. tsukraw

tsukraw New Member

Get a Watchguard. Its a product that just works ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.