• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

sonicwall TZ 170

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzar

Reaction score
Hi
I'm just evaluating 3CX at the moment but , not having much luck. Think it's a firewall issue but can't figure it out.
Can anyone help me with this it's TZ170 std version.

Can't really go any further with this and I'm evaluating other std Phone systems as well with the view to making a decision soon.

Thanks
Jim

I can't believe that 3CX and Sonic firewalls can't work together!! .I'm very frustrated with this as this is hampering me with my evaluation, and could lead to me discarding 3CX as a viable option.
I know the free addition has no technical support behind it, but how can I evaluate this product when I get anyone to getting working.

As this forum is moderated I'm hoping someone from 3CX may respond and supply an answer

hi,

we have 3cx working with a sonicwall 2040 enhanced mode, we also do have a tz170w so I do know that version to.

I'm not in the office today so will not be able to get back to you until tomorrow.

Which version of firmware are you using and are you using the enhanced version of the o/s or the standard version?

martin

ndl said:
hi,

we have 3cx working with a sonicwall 2040 enhanced mode, we also do have a tz170w so I do know that version to.

I'm not in the office today so will not be able to get back to you until tomorrow.

Which version of firmware are you using and are you using the enhanced version of the o/s or the standard version?

martin
Hi Martin
That would be great, our setup is TZ 170 Standard :firmware SonicOS Standard 3.0.0.4-41s

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

There is a pdf on the sonicwall web site for SonicOS Standard Configuring VoIP http://www.sonicwall.com/downloads/Configuring_VoIP_for_SonicOS_Standard.pdf

also just in case you don’t have a copy you can get a copy of the admin guide here http://www.sonicwall.com/downloads/SonicOS_Standard_3.0_AdminGuide.pdf

Have far have you got with the tz170?
Have you used the rule wizard to create a “public server rule”

ndl said:
There is a pdf on the sonicwall web site for SonicOS Standard Configuring VoIP http://www.sonicwall.com/downloads/Configuring_VoIP_for_SonicOS_Standard.pdf

also just in case you don’t have a copy you can get a copy of the admin guide here http://www.sonicwall.com/downloads/SonicOS_Standard_3.0_AdminGuide.pdf

Have far have you got with the tz170?
Have you used the rule wizard to create a “public server rule”

Hi Martin
Not done anything yet, I don't really know to much about all of this stuff. I'm not an IT administrator and my small business doesn't have one, so it's down to me. We had this sonic set up for us by a company which used to provide my system but they've gone now . I can add in rules but that's about it, and to be truthful I have never had any issues like this.

Jim

jim,

It's tricky helping when i don't know how much you know about your 170.

You need to add a rule that lets the following services through to the local ip address of your 3cx server

You need to create the following custom services, you can create these from the “firewall” tab and then select “services”
Udp port range 9000 to 9015 this is for RTP
Tcp port range 5060 to 5060 this is for sip over tcp
udp port range 5060 to 5060 this is for sip over usp
Tcp port range 5090 to 5090 this is for the 3cx tunnel
It is possible that some of these will already exist.

You need to add a rule that lets these custom services through to the local ip address of your 3cx server

If you download the admin guide it will help explain the meaning of some of the configuration menus.

Hope this helps a little bit

Martin

Ps what country are you in?

Sonicwalls dont understand VoIP. You are much better buying a firewall either from Linksys or Cisco. However you are best to use a reseller that can help you setup the firewall and the phone system for you. You will have the exact same problem with other VoIP phone systems.

so what is not working for us that I don’t know about?

we have a 2040 running enhanced and a 3cx server running with 2 voip providers configured and I have the tunnel configured to the 3cx client which I have run remotely.

What am I missing that is going to bite me in the future?

mattlandis said:
ndl said:
so what is not working for us that I don’t know about?

we have a 2040 running enhanced and a 3cx server running with 2 voip providers configured and I have the tunnel configured to the 3cx client which I have run remotely.

What am I missing that is going to bite me in the future?

Ndl,

If it works--BRAVO!
(others are having difficulty)

matt

do you know what difficulties they have?

your combined comments have me worried that I have missed something and that whilest I believe it's working something I have not found yet is not.

Hi All,

I have a 3CX running behind a Sonicwall TZ-170 Enhanced OS at the office. But ironic enough I sold a similar system to a client and I can not get to work properly. The problem I am having is there is no audio going through.

Thanks
RudyM

Hi Jim,

Don't give up on the SonicWALL just yet - they're pretty good firewalls however you do need to know what you are doing, or at least have someone handy that does.

A couple of things:

Check the UDP timeout setting for SIP registrations to your VoIP provider and ensure that they are set to a higher number of seconds than your system needs to re-register. SonicWALL firewalls are very good at closing connections if they don't see any traffic after the default 30 seconds and this can catch you out by disconnecting your registrations until the next re-registration by the 3CX Server. (You get an engaged signal on inbound calls or it misses inbound calls altogether)

Also, in the VoIP section select "Enable SIP transformations" - this allows the SonicWALL to understand your SIP calls and VoIP works significantly better with this switched on. Don't change any other settings in this screen.

By the way, that feature appeared possibly in a later version of the firmware as you are running a seriously old one yourself. I would recommend ensuring that your firewall is under maintenance (and if not, there is a one-time reinstatement which makes this affordable) and download the latest version. On this note, the enhanced version of the firmware is much better although a little more difficult to drive and you would have to manually re-do the config between version changes.

FYI - when you run the firewall tests in 3CX, they will fail because the SonicWALL does seem to play around with the RTP port mappings however this does still allow calls to pass through reliably (the purpose of the SIP tranformations setting). We have seen this on 3CX as well as other VoIP systems.

...and of course, don't forget to setup your QoS settings on the firewall - you would need to define the actual amount of bandwidth that you have on the WAN interface first before then applying the bandwidth and priority rules on the firewall rules themselves.

We have 3CX working behind a couple of SonicWALL firewalls, ranging from TZ170, 190 through to the 3060 if this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.