Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Sound quality for announcements

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by damian.savage, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damian.savage

We have just installed 3CX with a view to it replacing our existing system, however we have found that the announcements are very poor sound quality and often sound cuts out briefly - has anyone else had this???

We first thought this was because we have installed this on Hyper-V but we have also installed this on a Windows XP Core 2 system with the same results.

Call quality appears to be ok between users its just the announcements (i.e. please hold the line) which are poor. We need to use the digital receptionist with call queues so the quality of these announcements needs to be of a good quality.

Anyone have advice on where we can look...???

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

This happens if the announcement has not been recorded in the right format

It should be WAV format 8 khz, 16 bit, 16 khz, mono.... See manual how to record announcements.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. damian.savage

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply.

We are currently evaluating this product as a replacement for our existing phone system and have not recorded any new announcements as yet... These are the standard "out of the box" announcement files thus I assume these have already been recorded in the correct format...?

I have also used another VOIP client on the workstation and also get the same results thus have come to the conclusion that this must due to the way we have configured it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

4. ITWorks

ITWorks New Member

I experienced poor sound quality on voice mail messages when running 3CX 6.1 on Windows Server 2003 running as a guest on Virtual Server. Large portions of messages were dropped. I switched to running 3CX on a physical machine and all is fine. I thought this might be due to the lack of sound card support with Virtual Server but this was just a guess. I was hoping for better results under Hyper-V, but your post is discouraging. We ran 3CX virtualized to take advantage of clustered host fail over which works great, however broken up voice mail messages caused us to abandon that scenario.

Mark

5. discovery1

discovery1 Member

Choppy IVR and voicemails are usually lack of RAM or intensive disk activity - what else is running on the box?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. damian.savage

Our Hyper-V server is running on a quad core 2.33Ghz server with 8GB of RAM and h/w RAID 1 of 800GB

There are in total 4 virtual machines (inc. 3CX) running on this physical box - 4/5 users connecting daily to the various VMs.

The 3CX virtual machine had allocated 1024MB of RAM - is this not enough???

However I also installed 3CX on a physical desktop machine with Windows XP2 (2.33Ghz Core Duo with 2GB RAM and single SATA HDD) and still suffered the same problems!

As I said voice/call quality is fine it is just the announcements and hold music which is "choppy".

7. Bob Denny

Bob Denny New Member

Same here, but only for the voice mail prompts. They sound overmodulated and clipped.

8. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Hi Damian,

It should work fine with Hyper V - when the sound quality is not good its usually a virtualization configuration issue or else the machine is under powered. However the specs of your machines sound fine to be honest. It must be some codec issue or something but its difficult to see from here. We have not had similar reports to be honest.

If you have a support package, you can log a support ticket and we can log in remotely to troubleshoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.