SPA 3102 annoying ring on every outbound call

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by rodster, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodster

Everything works. SPA 3102 successfully receives the call and forwards to 3cx. Outbound calls to the SPA 3102 also works. wonderful!

It is just that everytime an outbound call is made, from the VoIP client software or any extension, it seems the 3102 makes its own ring before we hear the ring from the PSTN. It even rings once before a busy tone if the called external number is busy.

So here's the result;
    -if the called number is available - we hear a loud ring (pressumably from the SPA 3102) then we hear a different ring volume which is consistent afterwards (pressumably by the telco)

-if the called number is busy - we hear a loud ring (pressumbly from the SPA 3102) then we hear a busy tone.

Pressumably, the first ring is from the SPA3102 and it always makes one ring regardless. Is there any way, from the 3CX side or from the SPA 3102 side, to disable this annoying one ring on every external call?

Thanks.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The first ring may be from the set you are calling from just before the audio path is cut through to the 3102. Some are just a bit too eager to give you a confirmation that the call is progressing. The 3102 generally has no way of knowing when a called number has answered or is busy, or you get a recording, so it is unlikely that it is providing you with the ringback tone. I say generally because it can recognise a current reversal that some phone lines, some, will provide to the caller. This feature is generally used by a business PBX for billing purposes or to drop calls left on hold when the called party hangs up and can be an had for an extra fee from the phone company.

3. LorenzoM

Rodster,
    you appear to have your SPA-3102 working for inbound calls.
    Both Daiablo and I are unable to receive inbound calls.

Do you mind posting the following configurations from your Linksys SPA-3102 for the following screens when Logged on the the SPA-3102 as Admin/Advanced
    SIP
    Provisioning
    Regional
    Line1
    PSTN Line

Thbanks in advance

4. MrKoen

Rodster, could it be you have to tune the tone configuration at the Regional tab? I'm using a Linksys SPA3102 in the same setup as you describe and am not experiencing this behavure.

I will post the screenshots of my Linksys SPA3102 configuration below. Perhaps it will help you and LorenzoM out in solving the problem. For clarity, this configuration is in an environment where the SPA3102 functions as making incoming PSTN calls come into the 3CX PBX as VoIP calls and deliver outbound calls from the 3CX PBX towards the PSTN line at the same time. Because of the 8 images per posting limit, I will seperate the screenshots over several posts.

System Tab

SIP Tab

Provisioning Tab

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MrKoen

Regional Tab

Note: These tone, timing and CallerID values apply to my setup with an Alice Voice over ADSL line in The Netherlands and could very well have to be adjusted to suit your situation.

Line1 Tab

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MrKoen

PSTN Line Tab

User 1 Tab

PSTN User Tab

Attached Files:

7. rodster

Leejor, I'm not sure what you meant by "the *SET* you are calling from" but like I said from any softphone or any VoIP hardware from the network experiences the same thing. Even from an FXS port of another 3102 or 2102 or any media gateway with an ordinary phone plugged on it, making an outside call has the same experience.

I don't need the 3102 to know if the called number has answered or busy. That is not the point. The 3102 already plays the busy tone or ring tone if the line is busy or available. I just want the first ring that's generated by the 3102 to be removed.

8. rodster

Lorenzo M, unable to receive outside calls from the 3102 to 3CX is usually caused by
    1. Make sure that the media gateway has registered to 3cx (you can see this in the info tab if the 3102 has successfully registered) and
    2. Make sure that you supplied the correct credentials to connect to 3CX (this is in the PSTN line - subscriber information) is the same as what you set in 3CX.

this is based on my experience.

Cheers!

9. rodster

Thanks Mr Koen for posting your config. I'll try to compare and see if there's any change in the behavior.

10. ess

ess New Member

I think I know what you are referring to and I'm not sure if there is a way to shut that off or not. When you're dialing on a sip phone, it is not actually sending the pulses down the PSTN line. Once you hit Send, the sip notification is sent to the 3102, and the RTP stream is created, and you start hearing audio. The first thing the 3102 does is go off-hook. I think this is the ringing you are hearing....the dial tone on the line when the 3102 goes off hook. It is pretty quick. (I even hear this on my patton). Then, you might hear the number you called dialed by the 3102 on the pstn line itself.

So, I'm not sure if there is a way to suppress this initial dialtone or not. Perhaps in the 12349529349 fields in the settings, one can do this? I'm not sure :lol: .

Anyways, let me know if you have any luck getting rid of that first tone. I doubt is a 3cx issue. I think its just the nature of the sip protocol and pstn gateways.

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

When I make outgoing calls through a 3102, there is simply a pause, after that last dialled digit and then i can very faintly hear when the DTMF tones are sent out on the PSTN line, just a faint series of clicks, then audio is cut through. The 3102 doesn't send back it's own ringback or busy signal to 3CX as it doesn't know what the status is. All it does is seize the line, send DTMF and then cut you through. After that you are hearing everything from the POTS line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.