SPA 3102 Help!!!!

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by C51, Aug 10, 2007.

1. C51

C51

hello have just purchased 2 linksys SPA3102's and cannot make either of them work with my 3cx server

can someone help me please

thanks

jordan

2. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

I am fighting through my own woes with the SPA3102 but it does perform most functions for me now. First move is always to follow steps in http: //www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/linksys-3102/ - NO LONGER AVAILABLE and also ensure you use the built in template provided in 3CX. That did not work right off for me but after reading http://www.3cx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=7943&highlight=#7943 and making following change
    I was able to receive inbound calls. I was also able to add an outbound rule that allows me to press 8 for the PSTN line, then I have to dial the rest after hearing the second dial tone. This last part of pressing 8, waiting for a second dial tone, then dialing is bugging the heck out of me but I haven't been able to resolve it. Hoping for some help from the forum on this. If you need and screen prints let me know.

3. jschleider

As the previous user stated the directions are real straight forward. Everything in my configuration is functional as he described and I am also experiencing the same problem with dialing the 9 as per my rule to get an outside line on the pstn. I wait about 10 seconds and dial my number. This is not the way it should function as I have a voip provider and the rule setup for that is 8 and the number and it goes right through. If anyone can help thanks.

4. Cjay

Cjay New Member

The only way I can emulate this kind of second dial tone is by putting in an outbound rule such that if I dial 9 it strips it off ('r') and routes to PSTN on 3102. But this means that on my IP phone I must dial 9# (or 9 send), then I am connected to my PSTN line - but anything further I dial on the phone goes out as DTMF and not as a SIP message which is NOT what I want!

What phone are you dialling from? What happens if you dial the whole digit string in one go (9xxxyyyzzz) and press send? I would look closely to make sure your outbound rules are correct.

Cjay

5. jschleider

handset thru the spa, wip330, spa941, xlite softphone all the same results. If you dial 9+number or just 9 its the same. Sometimes the pstn tone comes instantly sometimes there is a 10 second or so delay

6. Cjay

Cjay New Member

Do you have Line 1 and the PSTN port enabled on the 3102? Are they on separate ports?

7. jschleider

yes and yes

8. Cjay

Cjay New Member

Hmmm, really your need to see outbound rules and SPA3102 configs to see what is happening - any way of posting these someplace? Have you checked your config against some of the documentation that ITfarmer has made available?

It is also handy sometimes to do a packet capture (Ethereal) of the SIP packets between 3cx & 3102 as this will show the communications between the 2 devices and can help highlight what is going wrong.

Good luck!

9. jschleider

I dont think its the spa I think its 3cx that isnt passing digits. The spa seems to work fine unless its timing

10. Cjay

Cjay New Member

Not very likely to be timing - the 3cx just sends a SIP packet to 3102 containing the full number to dial. 3102 just goes off hook and sends out these digits to line (though you can tinker with the DTMF parameters - digit length/gap etc, but it doesn't sound like this is your problem).

11. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

I would be the first admit that my knowledge is limited compared to most that are testing this software so please forgive any questions that fit the "newbie" category. Now .......

My SPA3102 has the PSTN Line setup with 3CX as a PSTN provider using their template as provided. Line 1 is configured as an internal extension driving an analog phone. If I dial a number in the sequence 8-XXX-XXX-XXXX where 8 is configured via an outbound rule (that strips the "8") to use the SAP3102 PSTN, I have a brief delay and then a dial tone. If I immediately dial the number I wanted without the 8 first, the call goes through. I tried dialing 8,xxx-xxx-xxxx after reading that the comma instructs wait on dial tone, but that would have been too easy, didn't work.

I have read several manuals on the SPA3102 and have found that you should be able to initiate a PSTN call outbound from Line 1 using a dial plan that includes a provision to wait for dial tone, but could not get that to work. I would be willing to lose the extra analog extension just to get this working but cannot seem to get the setup right for this method.

From the knowledge I have hammered recently into my poor old skull I would, in layman's terms, suggest that the SIP Packet from 3CX to the SPA3102 needs to have included the instruction to wait for dial tone before using the number, or something along that line. Essentially the number is being sent during the "blank" period before second dial tone.

I have tried many calls from X-Lite Softphones and analog phones via PAP2 adapters. I tried tinkering with the PAP2 dial plan but when it sends info to 3CX, it is sent on as a packet defeating any delay I might try to insert.

It is a bit frustrating that 3CX seems to have made this work during their tests but following the posted instructions to the letter, and using their template, doesn't work. Anyone knows how to get screen prints of their test unit?

12. jschleider

I think you are on to something with the dial plan on the spa I have been trying different ones with no success

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok, and we are back :).

Looking arround and it is like seening only SPA3102 stuff. Would it be of any help if I put something together that goes like this:

Q: What is it we want to do?
    A: Use the SPA to receive calls from the PSTN line to forward to 3CX.
    How to do this: Ask Henk :).

Will mainly be screen dumps etc but would something like that help? Starting with the SPA and working up to 3CX? Is that something we want?

Something like this:

http: //www.3cx.com.au/downloads/CLID.pdf - NO LONGER AVAILABLE

What I am trying is to get a level playing field, so when we start troubleshooting (and every day is different) we have a basis.

Just a thought.

14. jschleider

actually that part seems to work fine. Its the other way around. 3cx to the pstn calls that are not working right. Look up at my previous post and see the description of the problem.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually I was not answering your question, it was more a suggestion.

Ok Dial tone. The SPA does not provide the dial tone, simply it cannot do that, in the 3CX environment 3CX provides the dial tone.

If you have a delay between picking up the phone and hearing a dial tone that might aswell be an interaction issue between your phone and the PBX.

Second,
    If you setup a dial rule for the SPA eg 9 all you have to do is set this up in outbound rules, bind the 9 to the correct provider/gateway. One r in the transformation mask.

When picking up the phone dial 9{number you want to dial} and 3cx will strip the 9 from the number forward the to be connected number to the SPA (shows in the info screen as last called PSTN number).

Just tested it and it works a treat.

Did i mis anything?

Or do you need to know how to make PSTN calls using the SPA?

16. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

Great to see you are back Henk. For me the primary issue is making PSTN calls with the SPA. I have setup 8 in rules to direct to the SPA and included the r to strip. When I dial a complete number in the format 8-xxx-xxx-xxxx (North American format) I just get a dial tone after a brief silence. If I immediately dial the number I wanted again, the call will complete. If I dial 8 only and wait a sec or two for dial tone, then dial remaining number, call works. But will not work if I dial complete 8-xxx-xxx-xxxx only. For me that is the key and only issue right now.

17. jschleider

that sounds like the way its suppose to work but what actually has happened is I pick up the phone and get a dial tone from 3cx dial a 9 or a 9+10digits and I get a dial tone from the PSTN via the spa. The digits never get sent.

sorry about being late same as above

18. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

My impression from 3CXs support info is that the SPA / PSTN should function seamlessly / no different from a VoIP provider when correctly configured, or maybe I am just reading it wrong. Initially when first installing 3CX I was experiencing issues with numbers not going through until I realized that the PAP2 adapters I was using for my analog phones add another layer of filtering via their dial plans. While I have tweaked their dial plans to allow all functions I want, I test any problems solely on softphones that do not introduce that layer of uncertainity.

So after that excessive explanation I guess I am asking - are you testing with a softphone? Are your "hard" phones IP or do you have a similar issue with analog adapters? If yes to this, they may be blocking your dial string.

19. jschleider

I am thinking dial plan but possibly the 3cx outbound rules. I am using a linksys 941 ip phone, xlite soft phone, linksys wip330 ip phone, and a panasonic cordless connected to the spa port. I dont see any differences in the functioning.

20. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

Well you have definitely got variety covered. I cannot find any method in 3CX rules to allow "wait for dial tone" or setup any sort of a delay - like I said earlier I even tried commas unsuccessfully. At this point I am reasonably sure I need to get the SPA working for dial PSTN from its VoIP Line one, losing the extra FXS port which is not really important to me. From several manuals I have read through the SPA has an internal dial plan available that includes the "wait for dial tone" instruction when hopping from VoIP Line one to PSTN / FXO port. Problem for me was that after many hours of trying I have been unable to get the SPA working in this manner. Right now I am hoping that someone has the solution and can post screen prints. Otherwise, in a few days, when I can again budget the time needed, I will pull the SPA off the 3CX and using a separate phone handset, get it working or boot it into orbit.

Henk, where are you??