SPA-3102 PSTN Incoming Caller ID Problem

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mkieffer, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkieffer

Hi Everyone,

I have just installed a SPA-3102 Adapter to allow my house PSTN line to my VoIP phone's. I am able to make outgoing calls and incoming calls work fine other than the Caller ID is not showing up correctly.

I have a inbound route set so when a call comes in it is set to go to a ring group.

The caller number shows up OK, However the caller description shows up as "801 Ring All" (Which is what I named the ring group) I know there has been lots of talk on the forums about caller ID issues, so here is a list of what I have done so far and part of the configuration for the SPA-3102

The "PSTN CID For VoIP CID" is set to "Yes"

I have tried changing the "PSTN Answer Delay" to a higher value from "0" but no matter what I changed it to the Incoming caller ID would be the same.

Regional > Miscellaneous
    The "Caller ID Method" is set to "Bellcore (N.Amer,China)" (Note: I am in Canada)

The "Caller ID FSK Standard" is set to "bell 202"

My current SPA-3102 Software Version is: 5.1.10(GW)

And my 3CX Installed Version is: 8.0.9941.549 (The Free Edition)

The VoIP Phones in use are Linksys SPA921

If this problem has been already solved I apologize for posting this question again, if someone could point me to the correct forum discussion that would be great.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Mike

2. comresource

comresource Member

Make sure that under the General settings Global Options tab you remove the check box for "Append Group and DID names to Caller ID"

I am guessing this is enabled and is "pushing" the CID off the screen. I have a 3102 and incoming CID is working fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mkieffer

Problem solved, Thanks so much! I remember seeing that setting a couple of months ago when I first started looking at 3CX but I totally forgot about it.

Thanks for the quick response!

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

For caller ID to work properly in North America (Bellcore), I've found that the the minimum number here should be 3 (seconds), otherwise there is not enough time for the number/name info to come in before the call info is sent to 3CX.

5. mkieffer

OK thanks for the input, it seems to be working at 0 but I'll take your advice and bump it up to 3.

6. sinboo50

I am having the same issue with CID.

I have tried the settings in this post with no luck.

When I try and change the PSTN Answer Delay to anything other than 0, the call does not go through? What would cause that to happen? When I change back to 0 it goes through fine but CID is still an issue.

B

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Obviously there is some other setting causing a conflict if changing the changing the PSTN answer delay to something other than 0 prevents calls. Are you located in North America or another area that uses Bellcore caller ID? If so then caller Id won't work as the ID is sent between the 1st and second ring. If you set the PSTN answer delay to less athn 3 seconds then the 3102 will pass the call info to 3Cx with no ID. You can set up a syslog server and see what the 3102 is doing with the call when you set the parameter to 0. It might give you some direction on why you aren't getting the call, could it be sending it through to the FXS port? There is an option to enable that after a set time. Check your options under PSTN/PSTN-to_VoIP Gateway Setup/PSTN Ring Thru Line 1 and PSTN ring Thru Delay

The first option should be disabled if you DON'T want PSTN calls to try to ring the FXS port, which I assume you don't.

8. sinboo50

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I am in the US.

Here is the log on a successful call in but no CID:

The Log shows this repeated Error when I change the PSTN Answer Delay from 0:

Here are the SPA3102 Setting set to 0:

Many thanks.

Attached Files:

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Ah ha, you're using the T-Mobile router/ATA. That may be the problem. Is the incoming number 720 243-1505? If so and you still don't see the number on a display on a 3CX extension it could be the format of the name/number being sent. #cx might no know what to do with it. How does it look on a standard caller ID device? Someone else was having a problem a while back involving T-Mobile callers...http://www.3cx.com/forums/not-picking-up-tmobile-callers-11195.html#p57721 Never did hear what the difference in format was. Your issue may be completely different.

So...T-Mobile may not be sending standard format caller-ID out of their box. I'm surprised that 3CX would get anything without the PSTN answer delay on the 3102 not set to 3 seconds or higher. Maybe T-Mobile doesn't wait to send between the first and second ring. A standard caller ID box would tell you if the name/number was being send right away (before a ring). Most newer caller ID devices are "listening" all the time so that they can display call waiting ID, the older devices had to be awakened, hence the delay until after the first ring.

10. sinboo50

Right, is a TMO number. However, when I take the 3CX/SPA3102 out of the loop and just call from that device to any standard CID enabled device it works fine and sends: 17202431505 Cell Phone CO .

Also, when I call the 3CX to any line or extension from my other TMO Mobile number the CID comes through just fine.

I guess my big question still is why the CID Delay won't ring unless it is 0, but is fine if it is set at 0?

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Do you have a standard PSTN line to test it on?

Did you see the options I mentioned in the previous post, you didn't include your settings for that in the info you posted.

12. sinboo50

I don't have a standard POTS line to test on...

The Regional CID setting are: (Are those the setting you referenced?)

Attached Files:

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The setting I'm talking about is under the PSTN tab...PSTN-to_VoIP Gateway Setup then PSTN Ring Thru Line 1 Make sure that this is set to NO otherwise calls will try to go to the FXS port.

14. sinboo50

Right.. is set to No.

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Well...all sorts of assumptions can be made about the caller ID format that T-Mobile is sending but unless you have another service (PSTN Line) to do some comparison testing, then i don't know what to say. Perhaps a factory reset of the 3102 and then go through the options one by one again. You really need to be able to say...ah, this one works, but this one doesn't...or if both work, then start looking at other options on the 3102. As to why it won't put a call through when set to more than "0", that one option I mentioned was the only one I've encountered that has made a difference in the past. You could try setting up one of your PCs to run a syslog program, datafill the syslog info in the 3102 and see if it tells you what happens to the call when set to more than "0".

16. sinboo50

I think you are right... at this point I will just go back and do trial and error to see what works. The 3102 was brand new and I updated firmware before I started the config. I tried to match what was in the 3CX guide with the exception of the "*" in the PSTN Caller ID Pattern. If I can figure out what is causing the calls not to ring when I change the delay from 0 then I bet the CID issue will be resolved. I will be sure to post back here if I figure it out.

Thanks for all of your help and Happy New Year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.