spa-962 buttons for choosing outside line?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mikkie, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikkie

Hello all,

I've a test setup with 3CX free with a SPA-962, Snom M3, 2 SIP nrs, and 2 PSTN line's wich are connected by a GX4101
    The 962 has 6 buttons wich i can set for an extension.. But why do i need more then 1 extension on a spa962?
    It is already ext. 100...
    in case of a pabx, every telephone has one ext.nr.
    Is it not possible to create a button to choose wich line i want to use for outside dialing, Like it normal is on a PABX?
    Outbound rules wil do, but it is not clear to see what line is in use...
    Has anybody an idea how to solve this problem? ore is it only to fix with the paid version..
    Hope for a reaction.
    reg.
    Michael

2. mikkie

Hi matt, thanks for responding,..

The reason i ask, is that (as in my panasonic system) it is handy thar there is a overview from the lines.
    We also use it for modem trafic, and its nice to now that if a modem hangs, we can mannualy disconnect the pstn line.
    And for what reason should have a ip telephone have more then one extension button when it has its ext. assigned by 3CX.
    Its only one person behind a tel, so.... i think i'm getting a bit confused by the logical way a pabx works and IP.
    For sofar i think that the normal pabx cannot be changed by ip software.
    The pana. dig. series do have the capabilty to choose wich line i want to use for what ever without dialing a special nr., but just to hit a button..
    do i think to easy?
    reg.
    Michael

3. BJReplay

BJReplay New Member

Another reason you might want to choose the line is to choose the Caller ID that is presented to the person you are calling. For example, by default, I call out over my direct number (via an Outbound rule that selects my direct line VoIP account), so the caller sees my direct line as the Caller ID on their phone. However, on occasion I want to call out using our company number, so I choose an extension (using a line button on the SPA942) that is associated with an outbound rule that selects the Main Company Number VoIP account, so the caller sees the company number.

4. amygoda

amygoda Member

Each Line in grandstream 2000,2020 has Dial Plan Prefix: for ex 91 (this prefix string is added to each dialed number)
    So you make dial plan to pstn line 1 =91
    then you press line 1 and direct call your number with out prefix

5. mikkie

Thanks for al the replies guys, i aprec. it.

I understand al your comments, and your way of how to work at ease with voip.
    But if i pick up a incoming line, and dial out a special line with a prefix, ( wich al works fine ) why are the 6 buttons on the phone for...??
    I can manage total with one button as you suggest Matt.
    I do use my modems separate now, but as i told , it was behind a PABX, to see the line busy .
    Of course i can touch a button to handle a line, but isn't it easy to see status of the lines at once, therefore i tried to get the same circumstances with the 6 buttons as if it is a system telephone on a pabx.
    There are many way's to find out why its not working or cannot as a pabx, but its not always as user friendly.
    If it's not possible, i have to live with it, but you know how it works as you have working for years with pabx's en used to the buttons wich you can assing for what ever you want.
    Maybe i can program them as a DSS button to see the status from a internal extension and as a quickdial to that ext.

reg. Michael

6. amygoda

amygoda Member

Hello

You have 6 line buttons for a lot of use
    you can connect each line button to defferent server or voip account to send and recieve calls out of 3cx
    it helps for conferance and trancfer
    some phone has prefix add to each line this can help you

7. arpa

I have a similar problem with mikkie. I am an owner of a Linksys SPA-942 , i have 4 button ( 1ist is extension of 3CX )
    The other 3 buttons, are not used right now. In the past i used them to register simultaneously to voip providers from my SPA-942 an 3CX server but i had problem and now the voip lines are registered only via 3CX.

I want for example one button to call directly to a specific extension, or to see the status of it. The second one i want to monitor a specific voip line, or if i press it , i can call throw specific line etc...

:
    When you have a hardware VoIP phone as mikkie's SPA962, it is not necessary to be close enough to a PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.