SPA 962 not working with dial prompts?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by tqhx, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tqhx

Hi all, I set up a 3cx system with a grandstream PSTN. All is working well with all of my phones except my SPA 962's. I can dial out with them, but then they do not work with voice prompts. Example of what is happening

I have an auto attendant set up with voice prompts, one of the selections if dial 8 for voice mail. If i dial the external number and get the prompts, and hit 8, nothing happens. It doesnt work for any of the other selections either. Same thing with calling tech support for Verizon for example, if it says press 1 for Internet, press 2 for phone, 3 for billing, etc, it does not work.

However, if i dial the auto attendant internally at the extension i set up for it, the phone dials to the prompts just fine, so it is only affecting outside calls routed through the grandstream.

As another note, i have some SPA 502 phones set up as well, and these phones have no issue with external number dial prompts.

Any ideas?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If all phones are using the same gateway, and some work and some don't...then, compare the DTMF settings in both. There are various methods of sending DTMF in VoIP. Sometimes the default is to send In-band (as audio), and if fails, it sometimes it has to be sent as SIP messages to allow the gateway to regenerate the tones. If the settings for DTMF in the SPA502 seem to work, change the SPA962 to use the same.

3. tqhx

Those are the settings under regional correct? Sorry very new to this. Everything under the regional section matches between the phones. Ive been trying to find other settings that dont match and im not having any luck with it

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It may be under Line, It's been a while since I set up a Linksys set. There is usually a choice of how DTMF is handled.

Had a look at a Linksys. Under each Ext, down near the bottom. look for DTMF TX Method, at least that's where it is on my 942.
    Mine is set to Auto, but , to work it can depend on how you have your gateway set. If one type of phone is working then don't change your gateway settings.

5. tqhx

Ah yes. Both are set to auto. Im going to try some other settings and see what happens

6. tqhx

Ahh you rock! I set it to AVT and now it works. Thanks a bunch, id have seriously never figured that out

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You always have to be careful when changing those settings as the far end has to be able to handle them. If you are only dialling out over a single gateway, and it works, great. However if some calls go out over a VoIP provider or a second make of gateway, make sure the same settings work with something that requires DTMF at the far end, as well.

8. tqhx

Well currently we are all on one grandstream going to copper. However i believe they may want to switch to a VOIP provider. I will have to make a note to check and reconfigure if that happens. Thanks for the help. =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.