Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

SPA3102 Can't make outgoing calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jplinket, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jplinket

Well, I have read through many posts and tried many things and have not had any success. So I firgued that a post of my own may be the only answer. I have installed my 3CX server software and can make internal calls to extensions between computers on the network using the 3CX software phone. I have setup a PSTN device with the default 10000 UID and PASS. I followed the configuration guide for the SPA3102 and I can not make outside calls. Here are the details that I think may help you experts to help me. Please let me know if you need anything else and thanks in advance for the help.

Attached Files:

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The most common cause of "Cause 503 service not available" is the PSTN phone line not being plugged into the 3102. The 3102 will generally send hat if it is unable to seize the line (it's busy or disconnected) to send the call out.

I can see in the Info tab that it's state in on hook and shows -48 volts, which is he way it should look on an idle line, that's a good thing. Your settings seem to be correct, although in PSTN to VoIP Gateway Setup/ PSTN ring thru Line 1, you should change that to NO if you plan on using the Line (phone) jack for a 3CX extension in the future. Also change PSTN CID for VoIP CID to YES, if you are expecting to have caller ID.

In PSTN Disconnect Detection/Detect Polarity Reversall, unless you are sure that your PSTN sends a polarity reversal when the other party answers, which, can happen, but is not common in many places, you can set that to NO.

Was the 3102 "factory fresh" (or did you do a factory reset) before making the changes according to the 3CX guide? If not, and the 3102 had been used elsewhere previously, there just might be a setting in one of the tabs you didn't post that could be causing the problem.

Also check to make sure you didn't put any O's (capital Ohs) where there should be 0's (Zeros), I notice that the Port Identification and auth ID in the 3CX settings are not exactly the same length.

If you continue to have problems, you might want to consider installing a Syslog program (look up Kiwi Syslog) in one of your computers and enabling the Syslog server in the 3102. That would tell you exactly why the 3102 is rejecting the call.

3. jplinket

I upgraded the Firmaware on the 3102 to the latest build as soon as I got it, so I did start with a fresh set of settings.

Oddly, overnight the unit started to work. I did not change anything from what I posted initially. I guess a little patience is required when changing settings on this unit. Call quality is pretty good, but I get a 'fax type' buzz about every 5 seconds. I unplugged our fax and it did not go away. Any toughts on this problem? Should I look to the Tel Co or could it be the 3102 box?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Is it an actual modem type tone, like a fax machine, or ? If you lift an analogue extension on the same line when you have a call passing through the 3102, can you hear it on that set? If you can, then leave the analogue set off hook and drop the call through the 3102, is it still there? Does it happen on both incoming and outgoing calls? I have never had an issue like that with a 3102.

5. jplinket

I can hear the tones through an analogue handset. I have attached a recording. If I leave the analogue set off hook and try to make a call, I get a server error message on the softphone.

Attached Files:

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It sounds like some sort of a ground fault, or electrical interferance being put on the phone line. I would double check your wiring going to the 3102 socket

Yes you will as the 3102 sees the lower voltage on the line with the analogue set off hook and will refuse to place a call. What happens to the noise if you are monitoring an established call that the 3102 made and then hang up the 3Cx extension. At that point you would still be talking to the called party with the analogue phone. Is the noise still there when the 3102 drops off?

7. jplinket

Figured it out - Silly me. I needed to put the DSL filter on the line. All is fine now with the noises :oops:. Now I just have to figure out how to get the 3102 to pickup incomming calls and I am set. I does not seem to see the call. The analoge handset rings (and works) just fine. Here is the log entry (repeated many times):

16:51:30.040 Exception thrown in TransactionStatehandleBadRequest. This shouldn't happen. ParseException .\ParseBuffer.cxx:949, Parse failed unexpected eof in context: From
    CINCINNATI
    ^
    @ .\ParseBuffer.cxx:949

Hopefully the last hurdle...

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Are you talking about a handset on the same PSTN line or a set plugged into the Phone jack on the 3102?

Do you see any sign of an incoming call in the 3CX logs?

Since you started from scratch, go over your settings (particularly dialplan 8) and make note of the suggestions I made to the settings earlier.

I'm not familiar with that error log.

9. jplinket

Got the incoiming calls to work when I turned CID off. Looks like I need to put somthing other than a * in the pattern field. Blank also does not work.

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've always left that field blank (North American CID). Did you change back the PSTN Answer Delay to 3 or a bit higher and PSTN CID for VoIP CID to Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.