• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

SPA3102 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

com

Customer
Reaction score
I'm having real problems setting up a 3102. The device just will not register with 3CX.

Some details.

I have a fully working 3102 registered with 3CX and running on Windows Home Server 2011.

I'm trying to set up a new 3102 on a virtual Win 8 Pro machine running on Hyper-V under Server 2012 Standard.

I have tried the new 3102 with the config of the old 3102 and connected to the WHS 2011 3CX, registers and works fine.

I've tried the old 3102 on the new virtual system, won't register

I've tried everything from a full factory reset to pulling the config from the old 3102 to the new and changing the bare minimum to get it on to the new network. Been through the 3CX 3102 config document numerous times. Completely turned off the Windows firewall. I even uninstalled the new 3CX install running Abyss and reinstalled it using IIS. No joy.

The only feedback I get is "Registration State: Failed" on the 3102 "Voice: Info" page. I set up a syslog server at one point to try to see what it was doing but got very minimal feedback.

All of the above points to a config problem on the new 3CX install so, does anybody know which log will show any registration attempts in 3CX? (There's nothing obvious in the 2 logs in the console). Does anybody have any suggestions on what might be different across the two installs that might cause such a problem?

Thanks,

Steve

Sorry, just to add; The 3102 is being used only as a PSTN gateway on both systems. No extension attached or configured.

You should be seeing a registration attempt in one or the other 3Cx logs. If not, then the 3102 is not sending to the correct "destination", or something is blocking the attempts. Even if some other settings on the 3102 are incorrect, there should be a registration attempt showing.

Have you had luck registering a remote extension? If that failed, it would point to a firewall/port forwarding type issue. You could try a 3CX softphone running on a laptop, or, disable the PSTN line on the 3102 and try using the FXS alone, and set it up as an extension.

I have used the 3102 successfully as a remote trunk (and extension, at the same time), but not behind a router, it had a public IP.

Thanks leejor.

The 3102 can definitely "see" 3CX because I can get it to provision successfully. I'm about to give up on it to be honest. Too much time wasted and seemingly getting nowhere.

As a last attempt I set up the syslog server again this morning with full logging turned on on the 3102:

I get 2 entries every 30 seconds, one blank and one that just has [1]->192.168.3.4:5060(523) as the entry.

That's is the correct IP address for 3CX. If this is the registration attempt then I'm not sure why it's trying to connect on port 5060 as it should be registering on 5062. I can't see anywhere on the 3102 that 5060 is set as a port to use. Also, what does the (523) mean?

com said:
I get 2 entries every 30 seconds, one blank and one that just has [1]->192.168.3.4:5060(523) as the entry.

That's is the correct IP address for 3CX. If this is the registration attempt then I'm not sure why it's trying to connect on port 5060 as it should be registering on 5062. I can't see anywhere on the 3102 that 5060 is set as a port to use. Also, what does the (523) mean?

By default, the 3CX PBX is "listening" on port 5060, and by default, that is the port number that most devices will attempt to register to. Port 5062 is the port that the FXO portion of the 3102 is "listening" on. The factory default is 5061, but for some reason 3CX decided to use 5062, that alone has thrown a lot of people for a loop. If you used an auto provisioning file, then it should have been changed correctly. The fact that you are not seeing a registration attempt in the 3CX logs would indicate that they are just not getting through. this may be a basic network settings problem.

Can you post some of the 3102 "tabs", under the Router, the Network settings, and also the PSTN tab.

Setting up the 3102 manually, if necessary (for the basics) only takes a few minutes.

Pics attached leejor. I reckon I'm faster than most at configuring one of these things manually. I've had a lot of practice over the last couple of weeks. :D
The 3CX is currently listening on another port than 5060, I changed it from the default. but I'm sure I only did that to see if the 3102 was conflicting. I cant see anywhere in the 3102 config to change the SIP port though. There's as setting on the SIP page (SIP TCP Port Min) that looks like it should do it but I've chnaged that and the message in the logs still says it's trying to connect on 5060.

Attachments

• wan.PNG
    wan.PNG
    92.4 KB · Views: 561
  • pstn.PNG
    pstn.PNG
    49.7 KB · Views: 561
I see three things that might be having an affect.
And given that you've changed the 3CX port number, (which I would advise changing back to 5060), a fourth.

Since you don't use an outbound Proxy, you can change the Use OB Proxy in Dialog to NO

I recall, a long time ago, something about NOT using the trunk number as the Display Name, you might want to change that to something else.

In the Network settings, the DNS server is usually the IP of your router unless you choose to put in Public DNS server IP's. You may have another reason for putting that IP in there. May make a difference if you choose to use an NTP server.

Now, the one that will probably fix it, for the Proxy, change it to 192.168.3.4:5062, if you wish to keep the 3Cx port at 5062.
Most devices default (assume) that the server is using 5060, and will try that port unless otherwise instructed.

Thanks leejor,

I hope to get time to try this out today.

Use OB Proxy in Dialog: Have never changed this setting so it's a possibility.
trunk number as Display Name: The settings I posted are the ones where I've changed the absolute minimum from a working set up. The Display Name setting has had all sorts of different values over the last few weeks so I think that one's unlikely, but I'll give it a go.
DNS server: That's pointing to our internal DNS server which forwards any external queries.
Proxy setting: Can't believe I didn't think of doing that myself! It seems so obvious when someone points out what's staring you in the face.

I moved the port on 3CX to make it less obvious to anyone doing a port scan on our external IP. Any reason that's a bad idea (other than this sort of reconfiguration of devices problem)?

cheers,

Steve

com said:
I moved the port on 3CX to make it less obvious to anyone doing a port scan on our external IP. Any reason that's a bad idea (other than this sort of reconfiguration of devices problem)?

In the past, that suggestion had been made when the subject of hacking/port scanning has come up. It had been suggested, by some, that changing from port 5060 doesn't help as many more ports are being scanned anyway, and that a more secure router was probably a better choice. I'd like to hear from users that have changed to another port and found that it has actually eliminated direct SIP call , or registration attempts.

If you don't have any problem setting your devices to register to a "non standard" port on the PBX, then go for it.

Thanks for the info leejor. I'll check the logs on both systems, see how much is hitting each.

Anyway, got time to play this afternoon and guess what? It's working!

Port number on the end of the IP address for the proxy did the trick. As I said above, can't believe I didn't think of that earlier!

Thanks for all your help leejor, it's much appreciated.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damiano giannini
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.