SPA3102 Setup

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by petewatterschats, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petewatterschats

petewatterschats New Member

There is an Ethernet Port and an Internet Port, which one do you use to attach to the same network that the 3CX server is on and how do you get an IP address configured

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that no modifications have been done to the 3102 yet, otherwise do a factory reset. To do this, plug a phone into the Phone Socket, pick up and dial (you won't get dialtone) **** then 73738 (RESET) and follow the instructions

Because the 3102 has a router and DHCP server, you first have to plug a computer into the yellow Ethernet port, be sure you computer gets assigned an IP, open your browser and open the default IP...192.168.0.1

Note that in the upper right corner, you will need to click on both Admin and Advanced to make most changes.

Read my previous comments about setting a static IP (all on the WAN Setup tab). Be sure to enable WAN Web Server or you won't be able to get in to the settings from the blue Internet port.

Once all of that is done, you should be able plug the 3102 into your network using the Blue port (remove the computer from the Yellow port).

From a computer on your network, you should be able to access the 3102 using the static IP you assigned it earlier.

Once you are sure you can get in this was, you can go to the LAN setup tab and change Networking Service to "Bridge". this disables the router and DHCP server.

Let me know when you have the network and the extension working, I will then go over setting up the trunk.

3. petewatterschats

Got it and I can access it from my private network and the Bridge option has been set

What do you mean by "network and the extension working"

I am using Time Warner and they have supplied me with a ARRIS TM602 Telephony Modem that right now is just a POTS line and the ARRIS TM602 is not connected to Home the network via an ethernet cable. When I connect it to the Home Area Network its link light does not go on plus I do not know how to set the IP Address

I am going to Call Time Warner Tech Support to see if I can get access to the ARRIS TM602 Telephony Modem

Thanks for your help

4. petewatterschats

I did a search on "setting a static IP " and did not find your comments where can I find them

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I mean...once you have a static IP set and once you have dial-tone, in the phone plugged into the Phone socket, and, you can place an receive a call from another extension on the PBX.

Find what? You are going to give the device a Static IP, in the same range as the other devices on your network (It's assumed that you have some (basic?) knowledge of how a router/network operates if you are going to get into installing VoIP devices. You are "jumping into the deep end of the pool".

In the router, on the network, it will (usually by default) , assign devices a local IP when requested (DHCP).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_H ... n_Protocol

Usually, this is something like 192.168.0.2 up to 192.168.0.255, (the second to last digit could be a 1).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

In many cases 192.168.0.1 is reserved for the router/gateway, but that all depends on the make/model router you are using. It could be 192.168.1.254. In the router you can limit the number of IPs (range) that are automatically assigned. When you have devices with static IPs it is a good idea to limit the DHCP IPs to, perhaps 2 up to 100, reserving 101 to 255 for devices where you assign the IP (static IP). The computer running 3CX and the gateway will require a static IP. In most cases VoIP phones, or other computers will not.

Unless it is also a router, you probably won't be accessing it, in fact, you may not be able to.

And I assume that this is also a router, or, a router is plugged into the Ethernet socket on this modem.

Keep in mind that if the modem is also supplying phone service (which it certainly sounds like), then the default SIP port of 5060 (as accessed from the outside world) is probably being used by the Modem (they may also use 5061 if there is a second phone socket on the modem). This will affect the operation of the PBX IF you also expect 3CX to work with external VoIP providers as any reply (SIP messages)to port 5060 will be "intercepted" by the modem. In some cases, you may be able to set a "bridge" in the modem, allowing a router, plugged into the modems WAN port, to "pick up" a public IP address (if it doesn't already do so). You may want to ask your provider about this. Explain to them what you are doing and ask if they foresee any issues.

6. petewatterschats

I have a strong background in Ip just thought wen you referred to a note there was something specific I should know about.

Thanks for the help, I will post a reply after I have talked with the provider

7. petewatterschats

FYI

The ARRIS TM602 Telephony Modem Supplied by Time Warner just handles one phone line and is not connected to the Home Area Network

Time Warner Coax Cable attaches to it and a Phone Line comes out which is wired to a punch down block which connects it to RJ11 jacks in rooms

At this point I do not know if this device will work, but will find out shortly

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The
    also has an Ethernet socket . Is that socket set to "bridged"? In other words, if you plug a router in, does it get a different public IP than used by the built-in ATAs? Hopefully that is the case, otherwise ports (I'm assuming) 5060 and 5061 will be used by the modem and not available for use (later) by 3CX.

9. petewatterschats

What questions should I ask Time Warner and what should I tell them I need

Thanks

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would ask if port 5060 will be available to a device plugged into the Ethernet port of the modem. In other words, are the two FXS ports built into the modem going to be sharing the same public IP as your router plugged into that port. Let them know that you will be using a VoIP device and that it will want to use port 5060 (if 3CX is left at it's default). If they say that there will be a conflict, then I would assume that only one public IP is assigned to the modem, both the ATA's and the Ethernet port. In some cases, with some devices, using a Bridge mode may be possible, but they may have to enable it, unless you have access to the internal settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.