Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

SPA3102 thinks it's Off-Hook but it's really On-Hook

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by PhoneGuyCanada, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhoneGuyCanada

Hi All! Regular lurker and have been happily playing with 3CX for the last 10 months. I originally brought it in just for the purpose of putting my domestic POTS line into a VOIP accessible configuration since I was swapping out all the home office phones with Yealink T-28s, and still wanted to be able to answer the home line from the office. Now I'm looking at transitioning my business lines on to it an buying a commercial small-business copy.

What can I say. I have a weakness for anything phone related. :D

Meanwhile, though, I had an odd little problem pop up a few weeks ago. My SPA3102, which is configured as a PSTN gateway, stopping going off hook. The weird thing is that it thinks it's off hook, even though it's on-hook. I first noticed it when the 3CX stopped appearing to answer the phone after X rings - I'd hear it continue ringing in the rest of the house. Nevertheless, 3CX would email me long, silent voicemails that corresponded to the call times, since it seemed to think it was answering the calls. If I tried to answer a call when it was ringing, I'd just get dead air. Likewise, dead air if I tried to place a call.

While placing a call, I decided to look at the SPA3102 info screen and I noticed that, while it said the PSTN line was Off-Hook, it reported the line voltage as 52V and the loop current as 0.0mA.

I'm suspecting that this is just a shot bit of hardware. I tried updating the firmware, changing a few values here and there, and even powering it down for a couple of weeks. I even tried the always reliable percussive maintenance with no improvement.

Has anyone else run into this? I can understand the unit giving out, but seems odd that it would fail after only about 8 months. My PAP2s are ancient - 6 or 7 years old - and still working great.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There are settings that allow you to adjust the voltage threshold that the 3102 uses to determine if the PSTN line is in use elsewhere, thus preventing it from seizing a line. (PSTN line /International Control/Line-in Use Voltage ...default =40 volts) I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to.

If you become frustrated enough, and have the time, do a factory reset (does it show that the line is in use right after that?), and start again changing only those settings needed for operation. Do one thing at a time, then test it.

There is a built in syslog that can be used with programmes such as..http://www.kiwisyslog.com/search/kiwi-syslog-server-download.html

There used to be a free version, it's now just a free trial, but may help you out. I'm sure that there are other freeware ones available if you do some searching.

Post your settings, if you still have problems.

There is always the possibility that you have a faulty unit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.