SPA502G configuration

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mfourtillan, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfourtillan

Hello I have installed cisco SPA502G.
    I have used the manual configuration and the documentation available on the 3cx website.

I have too thomson ST2030 phone on the same site.
    The quality of the sound is bad with the SPA502G and i have verified the configuration....

What is the recommended configuration and settings for the SPA502G for codecs and RTP packets to have a good quality of sound ?
    Perhaps are-they other settings on the 3cx ?

are they someone that use the SPA502G for a long time and could help me to verify my configuration...

thank's for your help.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Packet size should be 0.020 and the G711 codecs usually do the best job in most situations unless band width is an issue. Be sure that your problems are not caused by using a Hub or possibly a bad Switch , on your network
    When you say the sound is "bad" , what do you mean? Choppy? Distorted? Is it a problem both directions or only noticeable at the set?

Is it possible that you have a faulty set or handset? Without a second set, of the same make, to compare, it's always a possibility.

3. mfourtillan

Thank's for your answer.
    I will do different tests on next wednesday and I will send you information about it.

1) we are going to optimize the network : we have dedicated CISCO switch for the phones, but at this time the 3CX server is not linked directly on this switch (2nd switch dedicated for servers and workstations). perhaps it's not optimize so we are going to optimize the network first.

2) at this time the 3CX server is on a VMWare server. Is it recommanded or not ? (the vwmare server has not an important activity at this time) => we are going to install on a dedicated server linked directly on the phone switch, and the cisco switch will be connected directly on the CISCO ASA with the SDSL output connection.
    => the PhoneIP LAN will be dedicated and so it will be optimized.

3) Packet size is already configured 0.020

4) by default for the SPA502G we have indicate first is the 729a codec (I see it on a youtube video that explains how to configure the SPA502G). The G711 is better for the quality of sound ? and 711a is better than 711u ?
    What you recommand ? Preferred Codec=G711 and Second Preferred Codec=729a ?

5) concerning the quality of sound, difficult to défine (I'm french, so difficult to find the good term in english)...
    First : I found the sound "steamed", "smothered" like a "deep sound" (internally and externaly). on the ST2030 I found the sound better and the codec are 1=729a 2=711a 3=711u ;
    Secondly : when I call someone externaly it's more the external user that find the sound "choppy"
    If just after I call back the same user with a ST2030 phone, it's more correct.
    It's why I think it's more a problem of phone configuration than a problem of network.

6) what is the best firmware version for the SPA502G ?

Thank's for your help. I will test all this and Come back to exchange me return of experience.

Regard's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.