SPA504 at Home - Ringing

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ian.watts, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Is there an effective method to keep my home handset from ringing when registered with the office extension? Hmm..

For some time I have just registered a different extension and used a custom status, queues, et al to route the calls when "telecommuting".

However, it would be better if I could control whether or not the phone is ringing.. because wifey is a light sleeper and all that.. mainly I would prefer the extension not ring.. or go mute.

I was gently reminded when I heard it ring this morning.. a queue call for our support desk started ringing.

DND didn't do the job.. calls routed to voicemail with no ring.

I removed that extension from the handset.. may try other things later.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You could set the ATA to not register, then you won't receive any calls but should still be able to call out. You could unplug the ATA when you don't want calls, or have a timer connected to the AC adapter do that for you. Or, you could invest in a cordless phone that allows you to set a "silent" period (no ringer).

3. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Not an ATA.. but no big.

Yeah.. thing is, I still have Ext2 and Ext3 rigged on BLF2 and BLF3 for a couple of Google Voice accounts I have on that gateway.. and would prefer to keep those two registered.

Aside, ran into a slight problem when I got to the office this morning.
    I left Ext1 configured with my office extension, Ext4 is the "other" extension. Anyway, I left the Phone settings to just not avail Ext1 on any BLF. My SPA504G here at the office would ring for about an eighth of a second, increment the missed calls, and ring again a quarter second or so later. Figures. Had to SSH tunnel to my Linux box to disable Ext1 altogether. I forgot how mad it would get when you do that.. being register an extension but don't assign a BLF for using it.. You'd think it would just do "nothing" with an incoming call.. not the case.

So yeah.. unplugging the handset surely is "an" option.. was going to see if there was some setting of awesome I haven't unearthed.. perhaps.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Sorry, should have caught that. I'm using a couple of SPA942's and find that I cannot turn off the ringer. It will turn down quite a ways, but not turn off completely (yet still flash the key).

5. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Heh.. maybe there is a "non-technical" answer.. like the covering it with the cat pillow. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.