SPA504 Shared Line

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by joshd23, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshd23

We have SPA504G and SPA525G phones, no side cars. We're looking to have the same extension on multiple phones. For example, we have an extension for Support and we want three phones to not only be able to answer when it rings (this I can do), but also see when there is a message on the extension. (this I cannot get to work). Can someone tell me the proper way to set this up with 3CX and SPA 500 phones?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you have used auto provisioning to do one set, you should be able to modify, then save a copy of the provisioning file under the MAC of the second phone, then repeat. I haven't done that particular set, but it does work on some Cisco 79xx sets. If you can provision the set manually, then that would work too. MWI from one mailbox should work on any duplicate extension set/key as long as all setting are correct.

3. joshd23

Thanks Leejor,
    I have tried manual and auto provisioning. The problem I have when setting up the second phone with the same settings as the first we can't receive calls. If you call the extension it goes straight to voicemail. Checking the 3CX logs, it did that because the line was busy by the second phone that was configured to use the line. Therefore, I figured it has to setup as a shared extension, but I can't get that to work either. So, the question is, what are the correct settings? Thanks for the help.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

SIP forking works on 3CX (using two sets with the same credentials). Did you set the extension options (in 3CX) to allow more than one call at a time for that particular extension number? I use one "main" extension that shows any messages to my "main" mailbox. that extension number appears in a number of places, local, and remote, so I know it works.

5. joshd23

I want to be able to accept more than 1 call at the same time - uses Phone Status.

Setting that one checkbox seems to have fixed the problem! That setting didn't occur to me since we couldn't receive the first call correctly, much less a second call, but it makes sense thinking it through. After it initially didn't work I didn't know the proper terminology for what I was trying to do, and after reading some I was going down the path of Shared Line Appearance, not SIP forking. So the changes I was making were taking me in the wrong direction for what I was trying to accomplish.

All working now, thanks again for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.