Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

SPA504G crashing phone network

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Maggers, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maggers

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this problem.
    I have 80+ SPA942 phones and 3CX V10.0 and have had no problems so far.

I had to buy some new phones so decided to buy newer versions of the SPA phones to try so I bought a couple of the SPA504G's (7.4.8a)

The problem is when I plug the SPA504G into the POE port all my other phones suddenly become unregistered and the only solution is to unplug the 504G then walk around unplugging the phones for at least 30 seconds then plugging them back in so they re-register.

(If I don't unplug them for at least 30 seconds or if you attempt to resolve the problem with a soft reboot then all that happens is the phones keep rebooting every 30 seconds or so which is annoying to the users)

Has anyone seen this problem if so what was the fix if any ?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This sounds like a physical problem, that the set is causing, on the network.

3. Maggers

Any ideas as to what might be causing the problem ?

I have tried 2 brand new phones out of the box and they both do the same thing.
    I cant see anything obviously different in the network settings than a SPA942 apart from the SPA504G has LLDP-MED enabled.

Its very interesting that a single device can take down a network.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've seen a loop between two ports in a switch, cause havoc.

You might want to...
    Plug the set into a stand alone router (I'm sure we all have some old ones in a box somewhere), set up the router with the same IP settings as your working network.

See if there is an excessive amount of network activity (the LED's just keep flashing constantly) when you plug in the set.

Does the set get an IP properly, can you connect with the sets menu using a PC behind the same router?

Is the firmware the latest? Will it update?

Can you configure the set manually, just a basic line, and then transfer to your other network?

If you go from that router to a Hub, then to the set and a PC running Wireshark, it would show what is happening.

You could also use a Hub to connect the Wireshark running PC and the set on your working network.

These were brand, spanking, new? You broke the seal on the box, new?

5. Maggers

Thank for the advice, I am in the process of putting together a test network so I can test these phones and will get back to you with the results.

Yes the phones were brand new and I factory reset them before use. The phones have the latest Firmware of 7.4.8a.

6. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

This comment is not directly related to the problem, but it is highly recommended to use latest 7.4.9 version of the firmware.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. efounco

efounco New Member

That's weird! We have a mix of 942's and 504's on our network. We are using a couple Dell 3548P POE switches and they all work OK. I suspect the problem is with the switch. We have a couple smaller generic POE switches in our out builds that are a little finicky...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.