SPA525G use line key to initiate call from another extension

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by neilwjsimpson, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neilwjsimpson

I'd like to be able to use the line keys to make a call using another extension.

The purpose would be to be able to make outbound calls using the outbound CallerID associated with other extensions.

I have several businesses that I make and receive calls for. Having one user extension logged into the phone is fine for identifying who is calling for inbound calls because I can see which call queue they are in when my extension rings.

My main problem is that if I want to call a customer, I want to be able to call from the CID that the customer will associate with the business.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Re: SPA525G use line key to initiate call from another exten

This will depend on the type of carrier being used. If SIP it is likely, but some providers may prevent. If through a gateway to pstn, then it is unlikely.

Set up the phone with a different extension on some of your line/account keys. Then within 3CX for each extension put in the desired outbound caller Id.

3. neilwjsimpson

That's the problem. How do I set up one phone with multiple extensions? It is sip and we have done this with our old uc520 cisco Pbx. We're using cisco spa525g2 phones

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It appears to be a five line phone, but, you may have to assign additional extension keys manually using the phones GUI.

5. neilwjsimpson

That's what I've been trying to do but it won't let me log in to the other extensions? The cisco Pbx didn't have logins for each extension so in the same way you can provision a bold to a line you could assign an extension too. Any way to do that with 3cx?

6. neilwjsimpson

Bold was meant to be blf

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm familiar with the SPA942, so I'm not sure if the menu/options are similar, but I suspect that they are.

The default (on my phones) is to have the prime extension show on all line keys, allowing a second or third call to ring in. This has to be changed so that each line key (or as many as you want) become individual lines. On my sets it's under the Phone tab.

Once that is done, you can assign credentials to each key as if it is a new extension. Of course these have to be created in 3CX too.

8. neilwjsimpson

Sounds promising. Could you explain I'm a bit more detail for the un-initiated (me!) perhaps some screen shots???

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm just running out the door, but...on my sets, under the phone tab, it shows the (four. in my case) line keys with a number beside each. The default is "1". You have to change key 2 to "2". and key 3 to "3", etc. for them to become individual lines.

I hope that the menu is similar on your phone.

10. neilwjsimpson

It is the same. It's how to login to the extension under the ext1, ext2 tabs that's got me stumped. I'm trying to put in the same type of details as the Pbx provisioned to the phone automatically for ext1, only with the other extension credentials obviously.

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Once you've done the first part, separating the line keys into separate lines. You then need to provision each extension key. on my set each has it's own tab. Extension one will be the current , working extension. You now need to provision each of the additional keys. The extension you want to use must first be made active in 3CX. All settings will be the same as key 1 except...Extension number, password, name (if you want to put one in), and the port number. If key 1 uses port 5060, key 2 can use 5061, key 3, 5062, etc.

This port number is the port the set registers with, the one it tell 3CX to contact it on. You still use port 5060 to contact 3CX on.

12. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

And be wary that if you register EXT2-5.. but fail to assign line keys to those extensions.. you effectively register alternate extensions which the phone will register but NOT ACCEPT CALLS for that extension. We ran into that recently.. for whatever reason Ext4 was configured up for play.. but never assigned one of the line keys and calls made to it returned a SIP response of.. 487 maybe? Basically the "busy signal" was being sent back. Without an assigned line key, the handset registered the extension but refused to do anything with it.

Yeah.. avoid that. :)

13. neilwjsimpson

Working well. But I've noticed that if the Pbx re provisions the phone for any reason it overwrites the line key functions again. Any way for 3cx to provision line keys as extensions in the same way you would provision blf's and queue log in out etc?

14. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

The answer is a mixed....yes and no.

The screen with which you set the phone up within 3CX for provisioning is fixed. This screen is used universally for all phones regardless of make/model and supported features. To develop a custom screen for each and then update as firmware features change would likely be a daunting task; hence why they elected to cover the primary functions using one screen.

So, you have two choices:

1. Disable the provisioning feature from within the phone itself and manually configure going forward, or
    2. Create and manage custom provisioning templates for your needs. You can use the existing templates as a base and then obtain the manufacturer's guides and modify as needed and then place the files into the provisioning folder.

15. countrycomp

Depending on your service provider, you can edit the Outbound Caller ID for each extension and it can be different to the inbound number. This under the Other tab for the extension. It does not need to be unique, I have just setup a system that has 30 extensions all showing the reception number as the Outbound Caller ID.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.