SPA8800 + 3cx softphone

Discussion in 'Windows' started by haktt, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haktt

Hi everyone,

I would like to use a 3cx softphone to make a call through the PSTN network via my spa8800, is there any guide somewhere that explain this? And what exactly do i need to download, the whole '3cxphone system' or just '3cx phone for windows' or something else?

Thanks for the help.

/Haktt

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Just a quick look-up of your device suggests that it has four FXO and four FXS ports. this means that you should be able to use just the 3CX PBX (if you wish), along with four analogue phones. You can also download an use the 3CX softphone (to run on a PC/laptop) if you don't wish to configure the four FXS ports. 3CX has auto provisioning for supported devices, however, even though a device isn't supported doesn't mean it won't work. you will just have to configure it manually. The FXO ports (the ones that connect to the PSTN lines should be similar to the PSTN port on an SPA3102. Cisco/Linksys is pretty good at keeping things (menus) fairly standard. the FXS ports should be similar to an SPA2102.

If you do some searches through the site, there is a lot of information to be had on how to configure devices. Some familiarity with SIP and VoIP does come in very handy however.

3. haktt

I tried the guide for configuring the SPA2102 but it doesn't work on SPA8800.

Do i need a SIP server to do what i want? I just want to connect a softphone to the PSTN network through the gateway. Cannot be that complicated?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Lets put it this way...Most SIP devices are designed to register, or at least pass through a SIP server. That is what the 3CX PBX is.
    While in many cases it is possible to route calls using direct SIP, but this method doesn't give you a great deal of flexibility, as would having a PBX in the middle.
    Direct SIP will not work on the 3Cx soft-phone as it has to register to a server. So it is possible that you could have the FXS ports route to the FXO ports directly, but you could just plug the analogue phones from the FXS ports right into the phone line, so what would be the point.

to sum up... you could register the FXO ports, that go to PSTN lines, as trunks in the 3CX PBX. You could then register the 3CX soft phone as an extension of the same PBX. That would be your only option if you wish to use the soft phone with your device.

5. haktt

I know that i could just plug in a analog phone to FXS port 1 and then call directly through PSTN (FXO port 1). My point was just for a testing matter if a softphone could work instead of the psychical phone.

What i did was i registered the gateway in the management console, as well as the softphone as an extension. Both was registered correctly with the green lights, but still it didn't work. Finally i realized that i forgot to make outbound rules, after that it worked.

Thanks for the support.

/Hakan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.