Split Web/Phone Computers

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by megatech, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. megatech

Is it possible to move the web server to a different computer. I installed phone using IIS web on same box but now want to move the web server to another box. I'm guessing it's just a matter of moving the virtual directories and then updating the database connection string or something...

Which reminds.... what needed to acccess the database via odbc?

2. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You want to remove the webserver from the 3CX SIP engine to have the webserver on another box? Why???

You cannot do this anyway - the webserver is used not only for the configuration pages, it is also used to generate VXML scripts to make IVR work. You cannot risk adding even the slightest delay in this area. Nothing is as fast as localhost to localhost.

Also I might not be understanding exactly what you want to do -

If you want to move 3cx thats not a problem, take a backup and restore anywhere you like. Even if you want to shift to Cassini for example.. from IIS or vice versa, take a backup and restore it after installing with the webserver of your choice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. megatech

The reason for moving is that I have 5 servers on my internal network
    one is the domain, one web server, one sql server, one terminal server and one is the phone server

the primary web server is on 192.168.xx.250 listening on port 80
    the phone server is on 192.168.xx.251 listening on port 80 with another instance of iis

all public port 80 requests are sent to iis on xx.250.

so I want to move the website off the phone box and onto the web server box,
    or alternatively,
    on the web server box (xx.250) create a virtual drirectory that points to the http/interface directory on the phone box (xx.51)

I have no trouble with my local users, by my external users cannot get to the phone server on port 80 unless I add more ip addresses (which is no problem if that's the only way - but I thought I would ask the question first).
    Also, the links in 3cx assistant expects the web port to be port 80, therefore if I use another port the assistant becomes unusable as I can't find a way to tell the assistant the web server usr needs a :8080 port addition

thx for any help
    peter

4. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The assistant will get the port used for the Webserver from the assistant service. So if you change the webserver port and restart the services, the assistant will still be notified. There is an API that queries the current 3CX webserver IP and port. We do this to inform the assistants whether the webserver is IIS or Cassini.

Yes use redirection in IIS. But you are on your own on this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.