Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Spurious e-mails

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by smhenshall, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smhenshall

Hi,

I have used 3CX V10, V11 and have just updated to V12. On occasion when I make changes to other programs running on my server or today when I have uninstalled V11 and installed V12 I receive several hundred emails sent by the 3CX system. These are outdated - often many months or years old - mails which refer to registration failures for my VOIP providers. It's as if the system is storing these somewhere and then resends them all in certain situations. Having spent a great deal of time deleting these from my email clients I'd like to know how to stop this happening other than anticpating when they might be sent and incorrectly modifying my email server settings.

Is there a folder somewhere that I can access and delete the archived emails?

Many thanks in anticipation
    Steve

2. Felixcat

Hi,
    Just received another 600+ mails this evening for no apparent reason. How can I delete old archived mails? They must be stored somewhere!
    Can someone help please?
    Regards,
    Steve

3. kbrv

Hi, I am seeing this behaviour with Version 11. All the emails are related to lost or abandoned queue calls and failed callbacks. Several hundred of them will pour in overnight relating to calls that happened way back when we first installed the system....mostly test calls while setting up the queues. Any suggestions ?

4. alpharadio

I have also seen this behaviour on one of my installs.
    It happened about 8 times over 4 months where we would get 200-300 e-mails pour in all at once, all old alert e-mails and I"m not sure if they were duplicates of previous alert e-mails or not.
    3CX in this case was configured to relay messages through an local Exchange 2010 server with regular user authentication enabled.
    I thought this may be an issue with the Exchange server so we changed the 3CX email settings and directed them to the ISPs internal mail server which allows relaying of e-mail like a smarthost.
    Since that change I have never seen this issue again with that client and it's been 8 months now.

5. kbrv

We are using GMail for the email system, dont really have an alternative, and I have another bunch of them coming in right now...over a month old.

6. alpharadio

What company are you using for Internet?
    There are always other options, you could even run a free piece of windows software on the PBX that is your own mail server and just relay out through that.
    I don't know of any function in the 3CX software that would store the e-mails and then blast them out all at once.

7. Felixcat

Hi,
    I use authsmtp.com which is an email system not related to my ISP which is Virgin Media (in UK). I use authsmtp.com as historically I've had issues trying to send mails from older software and this service works well and very quickly. If I use my ISP's mail system I'll be using gmail in disguise like kbrv.
    These mails are anything upto two years old and are failure messages relating to registration of VOIP providers, STUN resolution failures and maximum number of calls exceeded etc. They are delivered in no order just as fast as they can be sent. Due to their age the details must surely be archived somewhere in the 3CX system, but where?

Regards,
    Steve

8. kbrv

Hi, changing the SMTP server to a local one isnt really going to help us if the 3CX system is sending out the emails. I got another couple o' hundred or so this morning..one every second. There is no entries in the 3CX Event log to suggest that these emails are being sent. I cant imagine Google is resending them over and over for no reason. This doesnt happen with any other emails I recieve. I am a little stumped but it is good to know that its not just me that is experiencing this. I will be upgrading th V12 soon and I hope the problem goes away.

Glen.

9. smhenshall

Hi kbrv,
    Sorry to upset you but I doubt upgrading to V12 will help. I have experienced this on V10,11 and now 12. Surely there must be a way to stop this. Can't someone from 3CX help?
    Regards,
    Steve

10. snowsam

I'm running v11 and have experienced this as well. I'll have to look, but I think there was another thread talking about it.

For us, the batches of emails usually come in the wee hours of the morning.

My take is that 3CX "burps" and goes back and re-evaluates previous logs and resends alerts based on those old logs. As mentioned, you can tell from the email headers when they were sent, but from the email body you can see the event date and time and see they are from the past.

I don't currently have a support plan (only upgrade assurance), but what is needed is for someone with current support to log a case. We will have the best chance of getting it fixed if that person is running v12.

Any takers?

11. haywardi

Hi, another user reporting the same problem.

First saw it on v11 and now see it on v12, only started about two months ago, but happened 3 times.

For the record v11 and v12 running on win 7 and email externally provided.

Iain

12. mlump

mlump New Member

I have had the same problem, At one point my Multi-tenant server was sending out well over 1000 of these emails at least once a week. 3CX recommended i clear the Application Log in event viewer and after i did that it stopped until the application log was full once again.

Since then i have set the log to "Archive the log when full, do not overwrite events" instead of "Overwrite events as needed (oldest events first)" since then i have not gotten any of these old emails.

13. Felixcat

Hi mlump,

Many thanks for your post, I have made the changes to my applications log as you suggest - fingers crossed.
    Thanks, Steve

14. kbrv

Thanks. I will try that and see how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.