• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Standard OS native skin for 3CX VoIP phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bry

Reaction score
Is there a standard (i.e. OS native) skin for the VoIP phone? I've never been a fan of skinned applications. No offence intended, but IMHO, skinning applications like this is just gimmicky! fair enough if skinning is optional, but I'd much rather my desktop apps had a consistent look and feel.

Don't get me wrong, I love the iPhone (every member of my family has one!), and it's all very clever how the softphone looks like an iPhone, but I'm evaluating this software for use on a corporate network (coupled with the paid for version of the 3CX server), and I know the non-tech people that will likely be using it, won't appreciate the skinned look of the app.

So, is there a skin that makes the softphone look and behave like a standard Windows app? - and better still a method of making this the default (and only) skin for all users?

p.s. and probably not 100% on topic for this particular forum, but is there a piece of software that does the job of both the 3CX assistant and the softphone from a single app?

Currently the answer to both questions is no. There is supposed to be a skinning tool coming soon so you can create your own look for the softphone but I have not heard of the softphone functionality being more integrated into the 3CX Assistant as being on the horizon.

Okay, many thanks.

Edit: Removed the follow up question, as I've just found the answer on the 3CX web site. :oops:

Heh. Bry, I need the same things. Standard interface and integration with Assistant.

Igor and Bry, a standard Windows interface for 3CXPhone is out of any discussion, so you may forget this.

Hi Igor, Bry

Yes we are considering making more Skins though a we had one for years and it wasn't that popular. That said we will take the feedback into consideration and want to add more options. We are also considering a Skin competition and put this on our forum and blog for users to suggest skin designs for us.

In regards to integration with Assistant - its already there. its integrated in the same install and inbound and outbound dialing is integrated....

Different Strokes for Different Folks

The old skin Mr. Galea is referring to was a very Standard Windows Application look. Imagine the Windows Calculator with phone keys :) I did not mind it, but with many customers it was unpopular and aesthetically unappealing.

Can I ask why the "Non-Techs" would not like the skinning? I tend to see a majority of the NON techies loving the look and feel as they recognize this as a familiar interface.

Removed by Author.

From the beginning, we didn't want to add any "anti-hack protection" to the skin file. Now, since you find this issue, we've fixed it, so your technical advice will be useless. Thanks for spotting it.
Regards
vali

Vali_3CX said:
Re: Standard OS native skin for 3CX VoIP phone?
by Vali_3CX » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:58 pm
From the beginning, we didn't want to add any "anti-hack protection" to the skin file. Now, since you find this issue, we've fixed it, so your technical advice will be useless. Thanks for spotting it.
Regards
vali

Hello Vali,

Thank you for your post.

This being a community-led, no tech support forum, it was my intension to simply assist others as there have been several postings \ requests asking if this was possible. (personally I am more than happy to use products that sport the 3cx logo as it gives clients the reassurance they are investing in a named brand).

I've no doubt that more technically minded people than myself had already worked out how to do this, but in respect of your intensions to render my "technical advice" useless, I have removed my original post and will refrain from making any further technical comments.

Any news on an expected release date for the skinning tool?

Regards,

Mark.

Nick:

Just a few suggestions for current skin.

1) Skin is a bit dark. Maybe a lighter color? (More dark Grey than black) Or different color (selectable)
2) Indicator icons across middle of softphone a bit small, maybe a larger format?
3) Ability to resize softphone.

Thanks,
Lynnie G.

Just wanted to add my voice to the toughts of Bry as I also prefer a consistent, native UI.

...and I would even pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.