Starting from scratch.

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by DucatiBoy, Dec 17, 2007.

1. DucatiBoy

Hi all, total new guy here.
    I'm looking for some advice and recommendations. I'd like to setup a VOIP phone system for my house, but after much searching and reading, I'm more confused than before. Here is what I'm looking for: 6 - 8 phones, mostly for in house calls all though outgoing would be useful, the ability to call from one in house phone to another with the push of a button, and I'd like to use old standard phones. I have one which I've wired into the intercom outside my house ( press on button for speakerphone, call button activates speed dial to my cell) which I'd like to be able to use. I'd prefer if it could call in house first, and if no one picks up call my cell. Right now, I only have the phones, a spare PC, and my home network. I don't know what I should do for ATAs or if there is a better way to do it. Also I'm not sure of the best VOIP provider for my needs. Like I said, I have searched quite a bit but now would like some direct feedback if anyone wishes to help.I Any recommendations you could offer would be appreciated.

2. jantoney

yea..ok

OUCH!... thats many questions all at once... thats gotta hurt!

First few things that jump out at me...
    OLD PHONES
    I guess you can use these with a few ATA's however the min extension number in 3CX is two digits so you may need to press two buttons to call another phone.
    VOIP PROVIDER
    What country are you in and what area?
    Do you need inbound calls on your VOIP phone service?
    Do you need your inbound calls from your PSTN line to come into your phone system?
    OUTSIDE INTERCOM
    Umm yea i guess you could again hit speaker then set the phone up so one button activates a speed dial to go to an extension or ring/hunt group and if there is no answer use your VOIP/PSTN line to call your cell

OTHER BITS
    Just remember if your going to run internet over your internal LAN then you might want to concider a QOS switch! Really depends on how much data you will be transfering...

few things to think about... good luck
    make sure you let us know how you go!...

** 3CX free edition should do you! **[/b]

3. cjammer

cjammer New Member

I agree, if you are going to go over the internet, look into something to handle QoS.

For ATA's, I have a Grandstream HT-488 and a Linksys SPA 3102. These are both single line units. If you are wanting to use existing phones then you may want to look at other units that can handle multi extensions.

Both of these units have their pros and cons.

4. Pentangle

Pentangle Member

Umm, you'd want to use a QoS router (or have a separate line for your VoIP), but you shouldn't need a QoS switch unless your home is also an internet PoP :)

5. Wardy

Wardy New Member

Surly the min digits in the extension number could be overcome with speed dials