Status Indicator for Emergency Code - Force 3CX Phone System to IN or OUT of office

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by uptime1, Apr 30, 2016.

Status Indicator for Emergency Code - Force 3CX Phone System to IN or OUT of office 5 5 4votes
5/5, 4 votes

1. uptime1

uptime1 New Member

Our customer's breaks and time they leave and come back to the office varies wildly, so we have instructed them to use the force in and out of office feature configured in Settings, PBX, Dial Codes, Emergency Code - Force 3CX Phone System to IN or OUT of office.

It works as stated, however, there is absolutely no visual indication status whatsoever when 3CX is in the forced mode which creates a unnecessary mystery for everyone, and even more so when the receptionist is out of the office.

The lack of an indicator (which would preferably be displayed on a phone BLF light) and the resultant vagueness about the 3CX status causes a situation where people have to call into the main phone number to check what's going on with the phones.

That's a lot of wasted effort. Employees shouldn't have to be troubleshooting the phone system.

3CX what do you think about adding granularity and feedback status to this feature, please?

Please Upvote!

Becky Kennedy likes this.
  2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

While I like and support this idea - we do this end of day forwarding for the Receptionist Phones Extension rules.
    We have
    *30 day mode - receptionist first, then to the group for *31
    *31 break or no receptionist (goes to a group)
    *32 nite mode
    *33 receptionist/copy room (when receptionist is working in the copy room)
    *34 send to Cordless handset (Receptionist, but an alternate extension)

So - I wonder how we could implement the visual feedback on the phone. We use a Grandstream-2140 for our receptionist.

Several years ago, I was able to write a custom XML for a Yealink that would set the * code and change the background image - but it was not a solid solution, because if the phone rebooted, it would get its background from the config file.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. uptime1

uptime1 New Member

Hi Craig,

It sounds like you are using the presence status (available, away, do not disturb, lunch) of an extension to control the call routing. That's cool and I use the same approach as well, however, some call routing makes more functional sense controlled by the Office Hours time of day which alternatively can be invoked using the Emergency Code - Force 3CX Phone System to IN or OUT of office feature. Indeed, at a recent installation, we are using both methods.

But there's still a screaming need to indicate on a physical phone and 3CX clients when the Emergency Code is enabled, otherwise, as mentioned earlier, everyone is in the dark, wondering, needlessly.

Please Upvote!

4. uptime1

uptime1 New Member

JamieNL, what you want is of great use, and while similar, it's separate from Emergency Code indicator that will reflect the state of In or Out of Office.

To add your voice to the request to indicate the profile presence status on an extension, Upvote these ideas threads:
    post181178.html
    post181179.html

In the interim, everyone please Upvote this idea! :)

5. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

We use the receptionist phone as the main point of contact. So whatever that extension is set to is what the inbound calls follow. The *30, *31, etc is part of setting presence for each extension. So, we gave them a different name internally to work with our needs.
    The GS phone has a button that is called "NM" for Nite Mode. Who ever is opening or closing, hits the button and an XML menu comes up. They hit a button for which mode they need to set.
    So, if the receptionist is first in, she does the first item in the list, which dials *30, and basically "opens the office" for calls.
    If she is off or coming in late, someone else will goto the phone and select the Ring Group option instead so inbound calls ring several phones in the accounting office as well as her phone.

We just had to get a little creative. But I agree with the idea for Night Mode indicator within 3cx.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. uptime1

uptime1 New Member

As another expression of why this feature is important, my company provides a lot of active oversight of installations, especially for companies with busy receptionists and firms that are leveraging their phone system for marketing and sales. We often monitor their call queues activity to gain a sense of what's going on which helps us further customize the 3CX system to their benefit. However, we can't see when they force the 3CX phone system into night mode. We're completely blind which makes monitoring difficult. And, because we can't monitor the incoming SIP trunk activity (a separate Idea I submitted) we can't detect when someone accidentally or maliciously invokes night mode.

Better visibility is most welcome!

Let's get this idea over 50% Please Upvote! :)

7. datatech1

Hi Guys,
    I have just up-voted this and would appreciate that this is done on the post i have just put on the ideas forum as to how 3CX could easily implement this change on the system by using a global extension number.

The post also has a link with how someone else managed to do this with an Asterisk system and a Cisco VoIP phone.

The link to the forum post is:-
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/3cx-night-mode-visual-indication-45633.html

Kind regards,
    Marc - Datatech UK

8. klentz

We also want this feature! We use Yealink T29G phones