Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Storage of Voicemail on Secondary Drive

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dentalimaging, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dentalimaging

Hi guys.

New to setup of 3cx, but working my way through it and on a steep learning curve!

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to specify the storage location for all voicemails - ie on an alternate drive?
    System installed on Windows Server 2008R2 Enterprise.

I can see "Recordings" can be set to an alternate location, and this does seem to work, but only for the recorded conversations and not voicemails.

Does not seem clear where the voicemails are stored and ended up searching the hdd for wav files in order to find them!

Running v15.5 on a dedicated server with primary drive for OS & applications, and second drive for storage of any data, so would ideally like to store all voicemails on the data drive.

Thanks

Rob

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

3. dentalimaging

Thanks for the quick reply leejor

Saw a similar thread, but seemed to be talking about a non-windows environment so I was out of my depth and thought was not relevant. Not heard of Symbolic links (even though our own business is involved in an area of IT, it is a good reminder to know there is always something new to learn :) ), but will give it a try.

Would be much better of course if the application had the setting built in directly (given there is the facility to do for the recordings anyway), or at least an ini file or registry entry we could modify so we don't have to make a special Windows configuration for it.

As it seems not a set-able option in the native application, hopefully the dev team will consider this on the basis that this is a professional server with limited capacity server HDD's compared to conventional PC drives. The OS drive of this server only has a spare 50GB and besides the OS, all it runs is 3cx! Some servers don't even have that luxury and certainly we have some customer organisations that would not allow an application to store data on an OS drive.

Will update once I have had a chance to review and perhaps implement the content of the link.

Thanks again.

Rob

4. jimbo59

jimbo59 Member

A symbolic link is linux equivalent of a drive mapping in windows.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dentalimaging

Thanks Jimbo. Thought it was strange I had not heard of this.

From what you say, it seems this won't help me then, being a 2008 server and not a Linux platform?

I am a little confused though, as the original post was exactly the same scenario as mine, which was concerned with a 2008 server.

Do you have a Windows server solution I can use if this is not appropriate?

6. dentalimaging

Sorry, just re-read the original post. Seems it is a windows solution that was posted after all.

7. JMK

JMK

I've never tested but I suspect if you do this then the built in 3CX backup my not properly follow the link to your voicemail folder. You may have to back it up separately. Restore will likely have additional complexities.

8. dentalimaging

Hi JMK

Thanks for the thought on the backup. Will check and make a separate backup if needed.

Have anyway already implemented the symbolic links just now for Voicemail and Prompts folders. Was quite simple really, with added detail from https://ss64.com/nt/mklink.html

Only thing that I needed to do in addition to the steps in the previous thread was to stop a number of 3cx services so I could remove (renamed) the source folder as a symbolic link and a folder in the same location cannot have the same name.

So far, so good. A test VM arrived at the intended destination successfully!

Potentially a nice and relatively simple immediate fix for my issue. Still think it would be better to be configurable within the application.

Now I just need to figure out some other setup issues, but will search existing threads and if needed, raise a separate one.

Thanks for everyone's contribution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.