• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Streaming music to 3cx system

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoymenov

Reaction score
Hi, I was searching online for long time and couldn't find any help on streaming music to 3cx system on hold. I thought about it for a bit and found a great solution that works perfectly. The machine you are using has a sound card, Audio output and Audio input. Just use regular a cable with the headphone jack on each end, plug one end to audio out and one to mic input. open up browser or favourite streaming software and for audio output select your audio out. In the 3cx server configuration just configure the on hold music to come from the mic and you are done.

Stanislav Poymenov
Pitbull Security Solutions

You may wish to exercise some caution in this area as most streaming music be it radio, internet or otherwise is apt to be covered by copyright and may require certain permissions and copyright fees to come into play. You simply should not expect to be able to rebroadcast a "stream" that is originated by someone else and expect no consequences to come of it. ASCAP and the other licensing agencies look for these kind of situations so that they can then go in an recover licensing fees.

Specific to telephonic MOH (music-on-hold), the US laws currently protect the copyright owners from unlawful, unpermitted use of their music titles in over-the-phone broadcast. Any person or business wishing to use current, popular, post 1900-1910, copyrighted music for MOH purposes may only lawfully do so by obtaining permission from the owner. Currently, performance rights societies such as ASCAP, BMI and SESAC will sell blanket permission to use music titles in their catalog for MOH purposes—for an express annual fee - calculated by size and frequency of usage. Failure to obtain this paid permission is a violation of US copyright laws.

spoymenov said:
Just use regular a cable with the headphone jack on each end, plug one end to audio out and one to mic input. open up browser or favourite streaming software and for audio output select your audio out.

I assume you meant to say LINE input, not MIC input. LINE level out would overdrive the MIC input without padding.

I also agree regarding the copy-write comment. Even the use of off-air radio broadcasts are subject to copy-write laws and licensing fees are expected to be paid. Many people do "get away" with it, but you always run the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.