streaming radio for hold music

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mtaks09, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtaks09

is there any plans to add a streaming option for hold music

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

I would very much doubt it as in most places it breaches copyright and other broadcasting laws.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Justin Scott likes this.
  3. carolinainnovative

This is a feature that Asterisk has - but not 3cx.

And streaming doesn't even have to mean streaming off the net - there are lots of player boxes that are designed for music on hold - and basically 3cx can't use them. Even if it just "streamed" from the mic port on the computer - that would be sufficient for me but currently, 3cx doesn't do that - or at least not that I can tell.

4. georgi0

any news on this topic?

5. n2

n2

Streaming was in earlier versions, but removed in V14 (if memory serves). One of the reasons cited was the resources that streaming required of the processor given that it was a never ending function. There was no mention of any copyright concerns at the time as these still exist even with today's ability to upload.

There was quite a bit of backlash when it occurred and Nick indicated that they would re-examine the feature and possibly re-implement it at a later date, but I have not kept up with it since, so am uncertain where it stands. This was back in Mar 2016.

The only thing I can suggest at this point is to go to the 3CX Ideas forum and "up vote" the suggestions that are already present and addressing same.

6. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Copyright should not be the concern of 3cx as a developer.
    The end user should purchase the appropriate licensing to play the radio as hold music if they want to.
    Perhaps 3cx can absolve themselves of liability with a checkbox upon setup of inbound streaming that says "By checking this box, I signify that I have appropriate licenses to play this content."

I wonder if a Multicast Stream could be programmed for Music on Hold by 3cx.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. V..

V..

Hold music has been greatly improved upon in V15.5 and may eliminate the need for a separate unit.

8. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Its nice they added "playlists" in 15.5 - but I would not consider that a huge improvement. Some folks still just want to use a local music station. If they are a music station - this is especially important.

9. Justin Scott

It would take some pretty serious hacking of your box, but is it not possible to capture a stream from the web, convert and output it as an mp3 or wav file using ffmpeg, then upload that file using the web interface?

10. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

...and ffmpeg to be used in a cross platform system in .net is also not an option and will cause a massive compute overhead to do so.

15.5 has playlists again to enable you to play more then just one file , I guess it the best compromise for both worlds (legal and performance).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.