• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Strip 1 off caller ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

kraichle

Free User
Reaction score
Is there a way to strip off the 1 in the caller ID number before it gets sent to the phone? It comes in from the Service Provider SIP trunk with the 1. I setup outgoing calls to prefix a 1 so people in the office aren't required to enter a 1 first before dialing at their request. The problem is now when someone wants to do a re-dial they get two 1s because the caller ID has a 1 already in it.

I've check the SIP Service Provider setups and browsed around the 3CX interface and didn't seem to find any options to do that.

We're using 3CX V14

In the North American Numbering Plan an area code cannot start with "1", so assuming you are in North America you just need two rules, one for numbers dialed without "1" and one for numbers dialed with it.

In this case I would just use these 2 simple rules that will work with any way you dial a NANP number (i.e. 13105555555, or 3105555555):
  1. Numbers starting with "2-9", strip no digit, and prepend "1";
  2. Numbers starting with "1", strip no digit.
I hope it's useful!
Diego

Last edited:
You can manipulate incoming caller-ID: https://www.3cx.com/docs/cid-reformatting/
and/or modify dialed number with outbound rules to achieve what you want, I guess seeing either 11-digit number starting with 1, or 10-digit number starting with 2-9 for North America. For outbound calls you need to dial also either 11 or 10-digit number, so you can perform "number normalization". Using E.164 numbering is more standard (i.e. 11-digit numbers in N.A.).

The two simple rules did the trick, thanks Diego. Sip.bg I checked but don't have that feature on v14. Thanks for the info though. Thinking maybe I should upgrade to latest version, but everything works fine, so you know the rule if everything's working fine...

The two simple rules did the trick, thanks Diego. Sip.bg I checked but don't have that feature on v14. Thanks for the info though. Thinking maybe I should upgrade to latest version, but everything works fine, so you know the rule if everything's working fine...
The caller-id reformating is there from v12, in the sip trunks menu open the trunk till all subfolders are open, then you find it under other options, the logic is exactly the same as described for v15/15.5

Reactions: NickD_3CX
Oh, cool, i found it. I might try this too. It would clean up the caller id number when displayed on the phones. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davide.luppi
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.