Strip more than 9 digits

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by way, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. way

way

Hello

Currently, we have a have two phone systems merging into one. There is a bridge between the two sites which work fine, but I am having trouble sending calls from one site to the other over the bridge instead of using the VoIP providers which costs money and loses caller ID.

Essentially, if an employee dials in site one dials the number of site two, I can only strip off 9 of the 11 digits of the number via the outbound rules. I can get around this by creating a loop-back VoIP provider, then giving it an inbound DID which corresponds to the number dialed and throws it over the bridge, but this would mean that there would be two concurrent calls used for each active call between sites.

Is there a way to increase the number of stripped digits so that I can simply strip off the number dialed?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I seem to recall this being requested a while back but I haven't tested to see if it was implemented in version 12.
    Most users handle bridge calls using a prefix digit plus the extension number at the other PBX. It doesn't sound as if that is something you want to implement.

Off the top of my head...what about sending the 11 digit numbers (or something less), on to the other PBX, then doing translations (inbound rules), in that location?

3. way

way

We have implemented a similar setup for bridging calls, though people aren't always the fastest to pick up on this.

How would the translations be done from the other site? I don't believe this can be done over the bridge.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As I said, it was "off the top of my head". I haven't done a lot with bridge calls other than the basics. I was wondering (out loud) if bridged calls could be handled in the way that DID calls are, to send them to an extension. It may be that bridged calls are based solely on the internal dialplan of the destination PBX and not incoming rules.

Again, off the top of my head...if possible... an outgoing Bridge trunk (set-up to require registration) which terminates to a "regular" trunk group at the far end PBX (set-up as if it were connected to a VoIP provider). If that worked then full length numbers could be sent and, handled (translated) as standard DID calls.

This method has been suggested by some members, in the past, as a way to connect to other makes of PBX's. I don't recall seeing a confirmation, that this has worked. It might be worth a try. Keep in mind that you won't be able to send "long" numbers back the other direction.

5. way

way

I see. It's interesting you should mention that as I've recently had a bit of success pairing a FreePBX system with 3CX using 3CX as a direct-UDP 'Master' and setting up a SIP trunk on the FreePBX.

I'll have a try of connecting the two 3CX systems to see if this should clear up the digits issue. It may just be a case of repeating the exercise both directions to get 'long' numbers going both ways.

Thanks for the help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.