STUN configuration - different VoIP providers

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ficri, Oct 16, 2007.

1. ficri

Hi,
    In the General Settings section you configure STUN default settings. In my case I use two different VoIP providers and would like to make separate STUN requests to each VoIP provider. To try to achieve this I have configured two separate STUN servers in the settings for Gateways & Providers. Problem is that each time a STUN request is sent it goes to the STUN server configured in General settings. I would like it to be two STUN requests each time. One to each VoIP provider. Is this possible and how is it done?

2. bhavank

bhavank New Member

hello

go to manage under lines and then select the voip provide name, here you will find the setting for your voip provider in there itself you will find the required stun setting for your voip provide. you can simply configure it there itself.

3. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Can you explain why do you need that?

4. ficri

Hi Archie and bhavank,

The thing is that in my setup I have the 3cx installed on a PC connected to a Thomson ST780 Residential Gateway. The ISP and my dedicated VoIP provider is the same company.

The RGW contains, among other things, a SIP-ALG and also an integrated DSL modem. The RGW is provided by the ISP/VoIP provider and when using SIP accounts, and STUN server, for that particular VoIP provider a specific PVC in the DSL is used. This is accomplished by a unique dedicated routing profile in the RGW. Over that specific PVC an own DHCP IP-address just for VoIP is given to the RGW by the ISP/VoIP provider. STUN requests to my dedicated VoIP provider should therefore return the IP address above as my public IP address.

For surfing the Internet a different PVC is used and a different DHCP IP address is given to the RGW by the ISP. This other PVC is used for all other traffic i.e. if I would like to use VoIP with any other VoIP provider this public IP address should then be the one returned in the STUN response.

One reason for using a separate VoIP PVC is to accomplish a guaranteed bandwidth for the RTP packets to/from my VoIP provider. The VoIP PVC has priority over the surf PVC.

In 3cx I have configured two different providers. When sending the STUN request to my dedicated provider, the STUN server configured for that provider need to be used and the dedicated public RGW "VoIP" IP address should be returned in the response. When using the other "generic" VoIP provider another STUN server and associated public RGW surf IP address should be used and returned in the STUN response.

I would like to use both VoIP providers simultaneously. Hope you can understand the scenario. Is the above at all possible to achieve with the 3cx?

Thanks,
    ficri

5. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

No, it is not possible for SIP (signalling), but still possible for RTP (audio).
    In Version 4 external IP is resolved separately for every IP address on the server. So, probably, you will achieve better results using it. Still, you can not specify STUN server for specific NIC or IP. But if your VSP provides fixed external IP:port mapping for SIP - you may skip STUN resolution for it at all - just use that fixed IP:port for Contact settings of outbound INVITE to that provider (available in V4).

6. miraportuga

miraportuga Member

If you dont have a Fixed ip address you can always use a dynamic dns software like the one you can get on No-ip.org. That will give you a fix address like.... 3cx.no-ip.org

Cheers

7. BendyMetal

....or dyndns.com 8)