• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

STUN server time out..any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwildermuth

Reaction score
Hello,

Today my 3CX box locked up some I came into the office to try and figure out why. I noticed the drive was completely full with WIndows reporting literally '0 bytes' free. I tracked the issue down the the 3CX logs, and then started looking at the logs to see what was in them that was so large. I get this error:
[CM506004]: STUN request to STUN server 64.69.76.23 has timed out; used Transport: 10.82.10.15:5060
EVERY 3 seconds!!!

Apparently this just started happening recently and I have no idea why (unfortunately I deleted all of the logs in haste to free up drive space so I cant exactly pinpoint when this started happening). I was able to get the machine up and running again by specifying my public IP in the contact field for each VOIP Provider so that the lines would register. Then I went into the General Settings and took out the stun.3cx.com and stun2.3cx.com, restarted the services and the error in the log went away. Everything seems to be working again... but I'd really like to know "why".

I am behind a firewall, but I have a 1to1 NAT for this box. It's a Windows XP Pro machine with SP2. I'm using 3CX 5.0.3790.0

Something else I noticed... I can no longer go to the Versions/Upgrade link.. it says the server cannot be found? (DNS resolution works for internet browsing and everything else)

Anyone have any ideas? It worked great for a couple of months...

I saw a post about making a local STUN server... what are the pros and cons of doing that? Why do I need it if it seems to be working now?

Thanks!
~C

Have you checked you internet/network settings because this could be a routing problem

Stephen

hmmm I dont know.. I dont have any special routing or anything; just a firewall device in front of a network with a regular DSL internet connection. I suppose it could be routing at the ISP.. it's Qwest and I trust their network about as far as I can toss my mother in law. Unfortunately they are all I can get here :(

I have noticed another problem though... my phones at remote offices are no longer working due to a STUN related error...
Possible firewall problem. Address mapping failed on STUN server

Internal phones work fine calling out. External phones register, and can dial a number but no audio goes in either direction. This just started happening at the same time... I assume the STUN error above is to blame.

What do I do to fix it? Someone said install a local STUN server? I guess I'm not understanding what the functionality of the STUN server is. I'll have to google it... Installing my own STUN server; is this what i need to do to fix it?

Thanks,
~C

upgrade to 5.1 Lot's of those problems were in those builds you have. I am almost shure that your problem will be solved then.
And you can do that by making a backup, uninstall the old one and install the new one. Download from download area here.

Ok...upgraded to 5.1 from the downloads area... looks the same to me; actually I'm getting a new error message:

ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint "history_pkey"

??

any my old friend:

[MS101003] C:1.2: Possible firewall problem. Address mapping failed on STUN server 10.82.10.15:3478 for local address ":9002"

Also, the reinstall put the STUN values back so the log started going crazy with errors every 3 seconds again.

I also dont remember this one:
[CM505003]: Provider:[Vonage 6XXXXXXXXX] Device info: Device Not Identified: User Agent not matched; Capabilities:[reinvite, replaces, able-no-sdp, recvonly] UserAgent: [] Transport: [sip:10.82.10.

or:

[MS105000] C:1.1: No RTP packets were received:remoteAddr=10.82.100.151:2224,extAddr=0.0.0.0:0,localAddr=10.82.10.15:9000

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I know it's not a routing issue (I had forgotten that I had done this); I can ping stun.3cx.com just fine.

Any more ideas? I hope I didnt break any of the local LAN phones in the upgrade... I'm 1200 miles away for the next two weeks :( Guess I can always go back to the previous version...

The "history_pkey" can usually be fixed by doing a backup then restore

Stephen

Aparently stun.3cx.com and stun2.3cx.com just dont work... I found an article on voip-info.org where they list some public stun servers. I'm using stun.ekiga.net and stun.ideasip.com and the sip errors went away and it's correctly resolving my public IP via STUN requests. So nothing wrong with my configuration or firewall...

Sadly the upgrade did break stuff... incoming calls are jacked; nothing gets to 3CX. I have a new error message:
[CM503003]: Call(5): Call to sip:[email protected]:5060 has failed; Cause: 407 Proxy Authentication Required; from IP:216.115.20.41:5061

Also, whenever I try to make a call I get:
[CM503014]: Call(5): Attempt to reach [sip:[email protected];user=phone] failed. Reason: Reason Unknown
(thanks for the descriptive help! hahaha)

The lines show registered (the vonage lines as well as the handsets) so I dont know what they problem is...

Ugh...

I'll try the backup/restore to fix the other error.

ok, I did the backup / restore and the errors went away. Everything seems to be registering ok now, and since I'm using the public STUN servers I dont get the error every 3 seconds filling up the log. my 'fax service" seems to re-register itself over and over again every 15 mins? I assume that's normal? Anyhow... my only problem now is with the remote extensions and since that's not really part of this thread I'll go back a new one.

Thanks for all the help!
~C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.