STUN Server

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dyntech, Apr 5, 2007.

1. dyntech

dyntech New Member

I keep getting the following message in the log- STUN failed to resolve external IP using server 80.239.235.209.
    I have tried using three different STUN servers and get the same results with each one.

What could cause this?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do you need a Stun server? STUN is applicable to NAT routing issues if you have no NAT issues I would not use STUN.

Henk.

3. NigelG

Hi, if you need STUN then it may be worth checking the firewall settings to ensure that the required ports are opened to the internet, this would usually be UDP port 3478

4. dyntech

dyntech New Member

UDP 3478 is open onthe firewall and routed to the 3CX computer. I don't think I do need STUN, I've set "Which IP to use in 'Contact' field for registration:" to Specified IP with my external static IP but, I still get the messages.

5. pkothe

Stun Faq

If you have a full cone NAT or what I call one-to-one NAT where you have a public ip tied to a private ip and it is only for that host STUN will not work. I just got back from a class and this was what I found out. STUN was designed for the dynamic ip user and not the static world. To solve my problem I told the system what my external ip was and that fixed any issues with external users. If you have one-to-one NAT you can ignore the STUN error in the logs on the server. It will be handy though on the handset like the Linksys WIP300 I was using from a Hotel in Atlanta during the class. Hope this helps.

Paul

6. mbs1

hi,

your firewall should allow udp dest 3478 outbound. it should not be necessary to redirect inbound upd 3478 to the 3cx pbx.

thanks

mbs

7. giovanni0826

external extensions and registration

I have done several tests with remote extensions and external devices. One scenario I

8. 3CXsupport

3CXsupport New Member
    3CX Support

Hi,

If you can please send us a support file ("generate support info" from the 'support' page) to our support mail address with a full description of the tests carried out we would be able to follow through the negotiation and see what might be the issue.

Also new registrations take over old ones so it should not be a re-registration process issue.

Also to dyntech as mbs pointed out, you need to allow outbound STUN traffic from the PBX server.