STUN server

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mckey415, Jun 27, 2007.

1. mckey415

Hi!

i've got quite complex network structure with many regional offices that are sitting behind the NAT. so, to get sip communications working in this configuration, i have to use STUN server. i would like to install and maintain it myself. can anyone please point me to some STUN server software, preferably for windows, wich i can use with in combination with 3cx?

thanks in advance!

2. Borsoock

Borsoock New Member

3. ktikoft

Based on My experience and others if you just specify the external IP address directly you can bypass the stun server requirment

4. Borsoock

Borsoock New Member

What about mobile SIP clients on Laptops for example with different external IPs depending on location? Solution you mentionned is good work-arround ONLY if you don't have roaming clients.

Thanks

Marcin

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are spot on Marcin.

Question for you, I been looking arround for a good sip client (especially for th Pocket PC) do you know any?

I do not need GSM to WiFi hand off just a straight SIP client.

Thanks.

6. mckey415

as faar as i understand winstun is a kind of STUN test utility... there's another thing stun-win32 - this is really stun server, but it runs in console mode, wich is not acceptable for me. or may be it can be installed and run as service?

btw what 2 addresses he needs and what for? i didn't found any docs for this utility.

7. mckey415

one more question - i tried stun-win32 and tested it with winstun client.

i have 3cx (and stun on the same machince) in the dmz, client (my pc) is in the local network that is devided from dmz with isa server. packets from lan to dmz are routed (not NATed).

i run winstun utility and get the following:

Symetric firewall - VOIP will NOT work
    Preserves port number
    Supports hairpin of media
    Public IP address: 192.168.1.100

so what does it mean and what should i do to get VOIP working?

8. Borsoock

Borsoock New Member

There are many utilities that let you run any program as a service. Personally I like Firedaemon most: http://www.firedaemon.com/ very handy software :).

In regards to 2 addresses requirement - check command line syntax, I've tried to run it with only one public IP but didn't work properly.

BTW-: I had some stability problems on 2003 srv at the beginning; finally I've settled compatibility mode for stun-win32 to WinXP and its rock solid now!

Thanks

Marcin

9. Borsoock

Borsoock New Member

Hi

Please make sure ports UDP 3748 and 3749 are not firewaled. Run STUN server in verobse (-v) mode and you will be able to see on the console if clients can contact the server and if server is replying correctly.

Thanks

Marcin

10. Borsoock

Borsoock New Member

Henk, I have exactly the same problem. It's hard to believe but I couldn't find ANY descent (stable) SIP client for Windows Mobile 5! I

11. mckey415

thanks for pointing me to this software
    about 2 address - surely i checked command line arguments, and i understand that it won't work without 2 addresses. i just don't understand why it needs 2 addresses. that was the question.
    about the output of winstun - stun ports are open. if they are closed the output is different - it says that stun could not be contacted. now it answers that my isa server is simmetric firewall and i don't quite understand what is it and why voip won't work.

12. Angelo

3748-3749?? it is corret? Who is using this? Stun Server? Or the correct port 3478? In this case should I open 3479 as well? LOL so many questions so little answers