Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

STUN Server

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by strafelife, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strafelife

Hello,

I noticed that most blogs and articles here indicate that the STUN server to use is "stun.3cx.com". My question is this: isn't the 3cx IP PBX not STUN capable? Why must we use a 3rd party STUN server?

thank you

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

STUN is a tool that internet devices, 3CX included, can make use of. In some cases , you don't need STUN to be enabled on 3CX.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Traversal_Utilities_for_NAT

3. strafelife

Hi Leejor,

Thanks for the reply, but that wasn't the question. I understand what STUN is, I just wasn't sure that 3cx had a built STUN server. When I enabled STUN on the external hostname of my 3cx host, it wouldn't work. It appears as if the STUN request exits the network (external IP), only to come back to the 3cx host - in principal. My firewall does not allow this behavior without a NAT Reflection in place.

thanks

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There really would be no reason for 3CX to also act as a STUN server. Besides the two 3CX servers, there are a number that can be used, on the net. It would be like creating an NTP (time) server, there is no need as plenty are available, for free.

If you enable STUN, and you are using any STUN server then the requests should be going to a DNS server, to get the IP, and then off to that STUN server. If your STUN requests are coming back to your 3CX public P , then you really need to check your settings. It may be something to do with your DNS server settings. You could try using a site, such as this http://baremetal.com/cgi-bin/dnsip from the PC you are running 3CX. If you put in the STUN server you are using and it doesn't come back with the actual public IP of the server then it can't reach a DNS server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.