Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Stun Vs NAT - T48G

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by nathanmsaunders, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nathanmsaunders

Hi Guys,

is anyone able to tell me which is the prefered method STUN or NAT.

i have noticed on the firmware 35.80.0.130 for the yealink t48G that if stun is not enabled the shared parks dont work however if its enabled calls take atleast 10-15 seconds to make the call.

if i disable stun on the web-interface of the phone and make a call it dials within seconds however the parks wont activate or turn green.

if i enable stun the parks connect and turn green however calls take atleast 10.15 seconds to start to make the call.

where am i going wrong

2. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

STUN is a method allowing client to register with its public IP address and port to the PBX, you may check result in Phones menu.
    NAT is an indication that phone is behind a router, in some cases PBX will detect its public IP, based on IP packets source address (check again result in Phones menu of the PBX), it may work or not, depending on router and type of NAT (full-cone NAT, symmetric NAT, etc.), may be affected by SIP ALG if enabled, etc.
    The PBX need to know the public IP address of a phone, in order to send traffic to it, and router in front of phone should NAT it properly to reach phone on specific ports, from which traffic originated during registration,etc. Otherwise you may experience effects like one-way voice, not-terminating calls, etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nathanmsaunders

Hi @eagle2 thanks for helping me.

what possibilities could there be for the delay when stun is turned on via the phones web interface.

when its enabled the call dials then take about 4-8 seconds to start the dial tone. its like the phone is taking to long to resolve itself however if i change it to nat disabled it makes the call straight away.

this is the complete opisite for a snom handset i have with stun enabled it works flawlessly.

i have also noticed that if i change it to nat disabled none of the parks work.

4. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

3CX recommend using the 3CX pbx as a STUN server for remote phones at its public address, port 5060.
    Sometimes public STUN servers may not work correctly, if you are using such.
    If you still experiencing problems you may need to capture the traffic of the phone and investigate it.
    You may try also to provision the phone automatically using STUN server setting.
    Also make sure firewall checker passes OK for the PBX and TCP ports 5000, 5001 are forwarded to PBX as well.
    You may test your remote connection according this post: http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/3cx-firewall-checker-client/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The set should be making use of STUN even when a call isn't about to be placed. There may be a setting that can be changed so that a STUN check doesn't wait until a call is about to go through. Wireshark may also help in determining what the cause of the delay actually is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.