Stun Vs Static - Remote Extensions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by DexDeadly, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DexDeadly

Hello,

So I had my system setup and I was pretty sure I had a static IP address. So I had my system setup with no issues. This morning however come to find out a static IP was not on my account and it had changed. I updated the IP address under the networking tab. However if I ping the 3cx FQDN that is setup it is still showing the old IP address. I restarted the services thinking this would push the new IP to the servers to update this record and it has not. Is there a certain amount of time that I need to wait for this to update? If so how long is it?

Now if my IP is in fact dynamic do I just need to switch over to the STUN setup? If this is the case, is this going to cause an issue with say remote Cisco phones? I'm waiting on a power adapter to arrive at a remote location and had created my SEPXXX.xml file for it and was set to use my static IP address for it to connect, however I don't know if this is correct or not. For the remote phone would I place the FQDN found in 3CX which would be simplysyncedllc.3cx.us as its connection?

Lastly if I switch over to STUN due to the IP address, how long must I wait until it gets updated.

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @DexDeadly

Please note that using a dynamic IP is not recommended as you will have some down time every time your IP changes. We check for IP changes every 20 minutes but the DNS propagation could take hours to reach you depending on the DNS you use.
    To change your IP from static to Dynamic just select the option under settings/ network and restart your services

3. DexDeadly

Hello YiannisH, thanks for that. I figured I'd have some downtime between the change. Again it should of been a static but was not. This is an issue I will deal with with my provider. My phone server is good to go. Just one last question in regards to the remote extensions. Should I be using the 3cx.us as its proxy for the cisco phone or should I be using the static IP address?

4. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

If your IP keeps changing then you need to use the FQDN, otherwise i believe both work although i haven't tested with Cisco phones.

DexDeadly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.